Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: bgmcl60 Build

Re: bgmcl60 Build

the heated intake almost lines up with what i have except my secondary has the 140 jet and they are saying a 180. seems like a large gap from primary jet to secondary but they say it works. mine runs so good i'm afraid to change anything and i'm not a hot rodder and just like a nice comfortable speed and if needed could use the secondaries to maybe avoid something or get over something like a sand bar. i haven't changed any jets but the 140 main jet to 125 and the idle jet from 60 to 45 both are primary jets. just trying to lean it out enough to clean up the plugs that were starting to foul without loosing any performance. i think i am close but when i put the electric heater under the intake i might need to change them again. writing all this down and the videos help me to know what i have done and anyone else that might go this route.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 08-31-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Very nice !!! I appreciate the info and the rundown on this carb...It looks like you've found a top contender here for the 084 carb search thanks for all the hard work !!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

a little something i added while waiting for the hurricane to hit. it may not help but it looks good and the blue intake tubes makes it nice and solid.

Oh man !! That's right you're down there right in the path of destruction !!!...You better get that boat ready to ride the wave......Just kidding...But seriously be safe and depending where this thing tracks do the right thing...
    I like the air horn !!! That's sweet...Excellent machine work...I would think it has to help...I'm liking those blue tubes also what did you come up with for those ??? Again, very nice...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

the connectors are for a turbo inner cooler. bought off ebay.

are those the 1-3/8" ID ones? they look a just little more pliable.
    i have been thinking of upgrading, mine still look okay, but with all the little projects that i have been putting together, they are kind of tired.

they are 1 3/8 in. kind of snug fit on the new manifold but with a little lube they go right on. not as stiff as the old 084 connectors but stiff enough i took the brace off the manifold.

I'm anxious for you to run this carb through it's paces and see how it likes the water...I've got high hopes for you...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

just waiting on heater for carb to get here and get both wideband gauges to work at same time. the are temperamental to say the least. it won't be long.

ok here is where i'm at. i got the heater in and tested it on a battery i had laying around. after finding the battery only had 8 volts i charged it up and tested the pad it went right up to 200 degrees checking with a lazer temp gauge. so i assembled it to the bottom of a piece of aluminum i had holding the copper tube coil on the bottom of intake and sealed it with high temp rtv. on first test before installing the carb it showed 115 degrees after a couple of minutes in the bottom of intake. i thought this was going to work great. but after i hooked the lines to the bottom fitting at oil pump and other end to the hose to the oil cooler that was there and tightened everything i cranked it up and usual 45 to 60 oil pressure was 30 lb. so the 1/4 in line is too small and drops the oil pressure to oil cooler and oil filter. that shouldn't matter because the engine gets it oil pressure from a port before going to the oil cooler. the oil galley i think it is. after running it 10 or 15 minutes i noticed the volt gauge jumping up and down and engine started an intermitted skip and i noticed the heat pad was smoking and coming apart. so i turned it off and the volt gauge quit jumping and engine smoothed out. the heat pad had shorted out. so 2 down and may not try anything else. i was just curious if any would work. well it does and it don't. but i did put a new tach in after the old one got full of water sitting on my back porch. a lot of blowing rain during the storm. the primary main jet of 115 works great and am going to run it some before trying anything else.

That's interesting...So the electric short made the engine miss ??...And the oil pressure dropped too...I bet the operating temps would have gone up slightly with the restricted oil flow...Here's an idea that could work also when you decide to retry...I've seen some vehicles have a small power steering cooler attached directly to the pump...I bet you could use one as a grid directly under the intake then encase with a sheet of aluminum...I bet there wouldn't be a reduction in the oil PSI using something like that and you'd lose some engine oil heat in the process...Here's a pic of an old mopar version for reference...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i wouldn't have thought the short would have caused a miss in the engine with the magneto isolated from engine. but when i killed the switch to the heat pad the engine smoothed out and the volt gauge went back up and stopped jumping. i took every thing off and my oil pressure went back up. i don't need any of this on the engine just an experiment that didn't work. that's how you find out if somthing will work try it and see.

You're right, you wouldn't know until you try it that's the fun part.. I have a steady 45lbs of oil pressure on my engine{hot or cold so far} and I've seen where others have a higher operating pressure...This is the first modification anyone has stated they made the oil pressure drop by an add-on accessory that I'm aware of...It shows us that the plumbing does have an affect on flow/pressure...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i think it had an effect on the pressure to the oil cooler and oil filter. i'm pretty sure the engine gets it's oil pressure from a passage before it goes out to the oil filter and oil cooler if added. so my low oil pressure only affected my gauge attached to top of oil filter adapter and oil cooler and oil filter. if i had it connected to the port above the fuel pump i wouldn't have seen a drop but maybe an increase in oil pressure.

took the boat out last night for a little frog gigging and a test on the 084 engine. the engine ran great except with a little stumble just off idle. i had changed to the 115 main primary jet and it runs too lean causing the stumble and some aluminum deposits on spark plugs. no 4 was the worst the others were not too bad but a close up of the plugs show all had aluminum deposits. not what i wanted to see but now i know on this engine 125 is as small as i can go on main primary jet. put a front seat on for my son to frog gig from and he has become an expert at gigging frogs through the lilly pads. we had a great night.

Holy cow that's a lot of frogs !!! Glad you had fun I've never tried gigging before I wouldn't mind trying my hand at it..

Those plugs are a textbook extremely lean condition for sure...Did you happen to hear any detonation when this was happening ???What about seeing what the CHT gauge was reading ??? I'm curious as to just how lean it actually went to create that condition...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

the wide band gauge quit working a few days ago. what you get for buying the cheapest you can find. no noise no detonation but all the running was at idle except about 1/4 mile back in. oil temp was 180 and egt was never over a 100. mosltly stop and go running.

I wonder if the sensor might have got hit with some aluminum and possibly went bad..I have no idea on that just thinking out loud...It's something that a lean condition like that would have no symptoms to alert you...Now we know to keep a close eye on things when experimenting...It seems to be a tough little engine though...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

i think its the brand of wide band gauges i have. aspx seems to have a lot of complaints of not working. i bought 2 of them and neither would work when hooked to onboard battery but would work sometimes with remote battery. i thought it might have been the interference with the mag. it doesn't have the sheilded wires and the wires are copper core. i.ll try another brand and see if they are any better. they were nice to have when they worked which was not often since i got them.

I found the innovative technology gauges at a reasonable price on ebay... The MTX series are right around $160 with free shipping...Watch if you look at those one kit has a 3ft lead and one has an 8ft lead from the sensor..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine