Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: bgmcl60 Build

bgmcl60 Build

this is what i have done so far. not much but a start.my frame to make my old stand work. i needed to raise eng up a few inches and this gives me 1 1/2 in.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 07-03-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Re: bgmcl60 Build

And the fun begins !!! Thanks for starting a build thread even a retro-fit may give some ideas for future builders...Good luck...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

i told marty what i was going to do and he said he could of put the stringers any where i needed them but i was so excited to get the hull built i didn't think about it. i think 36 inch will be better then when i rebuild the setup and this will do for now. but is this strong enough? i welded all cross joints and 3/4 emt same as old stand. i even put two safety ties at rear in case something does break. going to weld bottom runner to top of this runner. so we will see. and oh yes i'm a tinkerer not a builder
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 07-04-2017 at 04:24 PM.

This is just me thinking out loud about what's there for the support:

Obviously it's not optimal you'd want the rails on top of the stringers but that should work for the time you'll be running it making what you've got work.. I was studying the grid trying to come up with a way to help support that rail {not that it needs it}...The only possible failure I can see is if the side-to side supports bend under the weight of the rails/rigging since there's no support directly under them... The only quick and easy way to support those side-to-side pieces would be to slip a piece of rebar in them then tack them at each end...That would keep them from bending under the weight{if it's needed I don't really know} at the expense of a few more pounds...

I'd keep going with what you're doing and see if it flexes much with more weight on it...If it does you can always add those inside the EMT if it appears to be needed...{you wouldn't need the whole length just a piece in each end spanning the stringers at each end the center could still be hollow}
    Last edited by Corky; 07-04-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

never thought of sticking rebar in it to make it rigid. good idea corky ill pick some up friday im working tomorrow and thursday won.t add that much weight since this hull is 16 inches wider than the old one.

rebar? that's interesting, i was always lead to believe that due to the unknown carbon content and variation of the makeup. that you could never trust a welded rebar to hold up to much stress.
    what size of rebar would you be using that is rigid and not bend? i have always been able to bend up to #6 rebar very easily. have put a lot of it in cement forms. back in the day.
    i googled the weld-ability of rebar, and it is all over the board with very different opinions , but you would need to use the correct welding procedure, and it might work,
    but good luck, just curious to see how it works out.

now i.m going in all different directions what to do. well my steel flex comes in friday so i will decide what to do after i turn the boat back over. it looked so simple and i got a can of worms with no place to fish. i might give up on this idea and just build an engine stand a be done with it. i have always been paranoid since so much has happened to me in the last few years unexpectedly and don.t want to create something that will cause a problem. when you get runned over by another boat fell out of boat 3 times in less than a month and swamped by a tug boat and list go on. my luck is so bad i'm going to sxxx can this idea and build a stand.

Here's what I used for the longerons which run on top of the stringers (36" C to C). I used 1" square tube and fastened it to the stringers by welding 1" wide steel straps on each side with a bolt through the straps and stringer in three locations from bow to stern. All the superstructure was welded to the square stock. Not a great pic but you can faintly see the strap by the back of the hammer in the pic.
    Last edited by aerokirk; 07-05-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

thanks aerokirk i think if i use maybe 4 like that to tie my runs together it can't budge.

I'm not sure about the concern of a short piece of rebar inside the tubing that's tacked{at the ends} to just hold it in but I understand what you're saying...Yes, it bends but probably not in that short span...But in any case there's many things that would fit inside the EMT as added support/ piece of mind..Keeping with the "concrete" senario you could even use a forming pin for example...they're cheap and solid too..

Like I've originally stated the best way is to build the new stand to match the hull but I thought this was a quick,temporary adaptation for the old stand-to-hull relationship...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    rebar? that's interesting, i was always lead to believe that due to the unknown carbon content and variation of the makeup. that you could never trust a welded rebar to hold up to much stress.
    what size of rebar would you be using that is rigid and not bend? i have always been able to bend up to #6 rebar very easily. have put a lot of it in cement forms. back in the day.
    i googled the weld-ability of rebar, and it is all over the board with very different opinions , but you would need to use the correct welding procedure, and it might work,
    but good luck, just curious to see how it works out.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

it is temporary and yes your right about putting anything in the emp would stiffen it up. just use silicone to plug hole forget about welding. i'ii probably use a smaller piece of emt inside it. i just don't want the eng to pass me by like one of my trailers did one time a few years back. just call me bad luck.

Wow, it sounds like you have some good stories to tell !! With that kind of luck I'd be reevaluating every thing I did for the potential problems that follow you around.....

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

well i don't live in a dome and **** happens to the best of us. just take the good with the bad, and when you have lived 74 years something is bound to happen. i seem to get a bunch at a time. to add fuel to the fire my work boats lower unit picked up a bunch of fishing line and filled lower unit up with water and now i'm replacing all the bearings 275.00, my steering cable broke and the helm bracket broke at top and only 1 bolt holding it on and consol split from the loose bolt and made it back to ramp by steering boat with the steering disconnected. both bearing on trailer are growling and needs replacing. when i finish the lower unit i have to replace both bunks on trailer broke from rust. i could go on for a while but enough about my boreing life

B.O.A.T. : break out another thousand.....or a couple in your case lol

here is casey trying out the new boat first. what else could i say. perfect.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMDs...ature=youtu.be

you make it look to easy

when you have the right boat and a good engine and a half way plan it is easy. with a big boat the horse power over comes a lot of mistakes but a mini has to have a good boat to overcome the mistakes. the better a mini is set up the better it runs unless it's not the right boat then you need more horse power.

Glad to see it's up and running...Looks good !!

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

it ran the best it has run since i got it. the new boat makes it feel much better than the narrow aluminum one. it gets on plane in deep water with two adults and turns 3800 rpm and stays on plane at 2900. no hesitation at all with new carburetor with no modifications.

got the webber intake in and it looks like it was made for the 084. it can't run any better the solex because it is perfect. something i just had to try. should get the carb in today. well see. pictures won't upload.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 08-08-2017 at 01:23 PM.