Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying a boat trailer for an airboat

Re: Modifying a boat trailer for an airboat

Quote Originally Posted by aewrigh View Post
    I know it is overkill but I tend to do that lol. I added three 3x3 runners , 1/4" thick heavy wall 2x2 tubing for my uprights, capped them off and added a piece of 3" c-channel between them to support the deck board. I also cut off the bow support I had built for my old trailer and added it to this one. Just got through painting it this evening. I also had to weld up about 30 holes and grind off stuff from when it was a wave runner trailer.
    Wow that's a nice trailer !! Great job on the uprights they'll make the loading/unloading much easier...I like the fenders also, having those step treads will keep the water from making the surface slippery...
    W

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Aewrigh, you will like the composite deck boards. when i first took mine out for the trial run, i had treated lumber, the boat wouldn't slide off for nothing. but now with gator glide and a couple of composite boards on top of the treated lumber. it will slide off the trailer with a gust of wind, if it isn't tied down.

Corky, an other question, on my snowmobile trailers i have a what we refer to as a salt guard. on the front of the trailers. to protect the sleds from rock chips and and dirt that gets kicked up from the truck tires.
    i haven't seen many boat trailers with a shield on the front of the trailer. I would hate to see your paint get chipped from truck tires kicking up any rocks. ( just thinking out loud) but then most people don't trailer their boats around during the winter.
    Bart I haven't seen any boat trailers with the rock guards either...I've seen open car trailers with the rock guards on them also but never any boat trailers..
    But don't worry I'll have my hull chipped up the first day in the water.....That's just the way it is around here...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Well she is all finished..... only thing I might eventually add is a center board.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

And a bow stop once I get the hull back on the trailer.

Great job your trailer turned out sweet !!! You'll have to let us know just how slippery that composite board is with the quickslick bottom...With that wavy profile I bet it flies off the trailer..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I'm moving along with the progress...I used some 000 super fine sandblasting sand set at low pressure{50-70psi}... What this does is let me take all the cascading rust trails off the galvanized framing without damaging the finish...Then I can move in closer to blast any rusty components leaving a perfect surface to paint...I blasted the axle backing plates and leaf springs...As well as the winch assembly...This winch is a two speed and works well for it's age...I've coated the jack, winch and leaf springs with a cold galvanizing epoxy that's military spec so it should hold up...We'll see, it takes 7 days for this stuff to cure..The backing plates got some primer then the black paint..
    Last edited by Corky; 07-02-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I'll throw in a pic of the galvanized frame and components after a day of sandblasting...Wow, I think I lost 10lbs wearing the pants,sweatshirt and sandblasting hood in these temps outside today..I blasted, painted and then fell in the pool for a few hours......

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Coming right along! That will make one stout trailer for sure!

I came by there about 4 today but I just wanted to get home. I was at the eye doctors and they dilated my eyes. What a drive home! I even sat there for a bit because that sun was bright.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I was out there too bad you were in no shape for a visit...That eye dilation is crazy last time I had to wear those cheap throw away sun screens I forgot my sunglasses...

More progress today...I got the brake drums painted and installed...Packed the bearings and installed the bearing buddies back on the hubs...Cleaned the galvanized wheels and tires then installed them...I'll show more progress pics tomorrow...I need to get this trailer back on the ground and get the measurements of the frame off the ground...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Well as luck would have it I got to spend some of my birthday working on the trailer today...Yep, 55 and still alive...Could be worse I guess...I don't know where the years are going but they're going fast !!! So here's the progress for the day...The wheels and tires are mounted back on the trailer...The spare is mounted in its home again...And the first round with the wooden rails are done...I pulled out some vintage {1970 Dodge} hubcaps for their new duty and machined the center caps so I can grease the bearing buddies

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Well I thought I was done. I didn't like how close the bow was to the crank handle so I extended the winch stand. I also took advantage of the extra room and added a bow stop. Although not in the pics, I bolted half inch rubber strips to the boat side of the c-channel uprights. Now I have a positive stop so that my boat is cranked up to the same spot every time. As light as these mini's are, it is easy to crank them up to the point that they aren't sitting flat on the trailer anymore. That won't be the case now.

mighty fine looking trailer. you've given me some ideas how to fix mine thanks.

Nice fine tuning on the winch and bow stop......That really is a good looking trailer...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Thanks....one of these days I will add some diamondplate aluminum for walkways on the sides of the boat perhaps....but I am happy with how it turned out. Lights are all that are left

Speaking of lights, I've been reading up on the requirements for trailers in general...It looks like 80+ inches wide is the majic number for additional lighting requirements...I was trying to figure out why some boat trailers had those 3 red lights rear,center and the 80+" is the reason...I've also read where there should be a reflector on the frame up front which my old trailer doesn't have...I guess I'll add that at the wiring stage...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Correct on the 80" or over requiring more lights. You can have reflectors or marker lights on the sides of the trailer frame. I believe they have to be towards the front and also at the widest point which would be the fenders. I am not 100% sure of that though.

I added 3 crossmembers to the bunk boards...And they're not just flat pieces...I actually marked the transom profile on them so they have the correct center crown.....Now the trick is to pull the 3/4 inch marine plywood down to match the profile...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

The 3/4 inch marine plywood pulled down easier than I expected{I stood on it} and went 3 inch on centers around the sheet...It won't be going anywhere...Also, I got the rear ramp framing done today..I used the galvanized pieces that I took off the trailer for the ramp...I've made this up for a 2x12 treated board...I sprayed the welded joints with a cold galvanizing compound...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I like that! Are you putting rollers at the break point or no? I may eventually add something like that to mine.