Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modifying a boat trailer for an airboat

Re: Modifying a boat trailer for an airboat

Yes, I've got 3 rubber rollers to go at the break point...I was going to buy the pre-made brackets but they look thin to me...Not that a mini weighs much but I want to do this once and done...I checked all kinds of different sources for rubber coated rollers{like conveyer rollers with bearings} but they just weren't cost effective and I felt most weren't up to the task of the weight or water over the course of time..The simple boat trailer rubber rollers seemed to be the best and most simple route...Believe it or not the local Bass Pro beat all the internet sites for the rollers and roller shafts..I got 3 nine inch rollers for 7.99 a piece...

I found the thicker,marine grade outdoor black carpet at home depot..So I still have some work to do...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I had thought about using skateboard wheels after checking into prices of rubber rollers. New sets with bearings on eBay go for about 15 bucks shipped.

Here's the rough-in of the ramp and rollers...The rollers are spaced to match the 3 hull stringers....Yeah, as usual I went heavy on the roller brackets but now I know they won't be bending..... The pic angles are an illusion, the rollers are just below{1/6 of an inch} the main deck so they don't hold the boat up in the back...They're not as low as they appear in the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Corky; 07-11-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Looks great and they won't be breaking! Awesome!

Looking nice Corky. Noted that you found heavy marine carpet for the decking... had you thought of a piece of poly sheeting? that would get you on and off.... kent

Hi Kent...You know I usually weigh all the options when I overthink what I'm doing but I have to be honest I never gave the poly sheeting a thought...I've seen so many bunk trailers with the black carpet I had a one track mind...Even a thin sheet would do the trick...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Here's the ramp and floor with the carpet glued and stapled...Outdoor carpet glue and stainless steel staples to be exact...It's warm out and I had to keep moving during the glue ceremony once the carped hit the deck it was there to stay....The ramp center was cut out so you can see the three center,rear lights on the highway they were shielded quite a bit after I installed the ramp so this was the compromise to keep it legal...And I'll throw one in to show the roller height looking back from the deck...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

More progress with the trailer...The bunks got painted...Speaking of bunks... Kent stopped in to see the progress and he pointed out that I might not have given myself enough clearance between the bottom of the bunk and the axle.....And unfortunately I agreed with him...Now, it is a 4000lb trailer and I can jump all over it without even the slightest movement from the springs..I figure the boat is 700lbs so the trailer won't know there's anything on it...But in any case I radiused the bottom of the bunk to allow movement if for some reason the axle moves more than expected...
    Last edited by Corky; 07-23-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

With that off my mind I moved on to the wiring...
    First up I pulled an all new 4 flat wiring harness through the frame of the trailer..As it turns out I needed a 30 ft harness !!! ...That gives me some slack as well as a few feet up front so I can hook up to any vehicle if needed...It was easy I just attached the new wires to the old harness and went to the back and pulled them through..
    Since the trailer is over 80" wide I needed not only the rear tail lights but the ones with the side marker lights {in red} in the housing to shine out the side...Over 80"lighting also calls for the three marker lights on the rear crossmember between the tail lights.. So the old hardware was pulled and replaced with a cool, one piece submersible 3 point LED light bar...
    The yellow markers before the wheel wells were brought into the 21st century with some mulit-LED assemblys...Now ,since this trailer is so long... up at the front of the wishbone I have my choice of either a reflector or another set of marker lights{yellow}...I chose to add some markers ...They're some cool Pointed LEDs that fit the area nicely.....
    All lights are now LEDs with soldered and shrink tubed connections...Speaking of connections the old filament bulbs grounded to the frame through the light housing assembly..All the new LEDs have a ground wire and ring connector so I gave each light a dedicated ground to the frame...
    The wiring is done !!! Over and out...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I've not had to mess with lights on either of my trailers since I went LEDs about eight years ago.
    My BIL works for a major trailer MFG but they are still using old stuff. I have a cabinet full of regular stop and marker lights.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Well the LEDs are nice and bright...I've added some wheel well cushions to keep the hull from scraping while moving on and off the trailer... And that gets me to the point where the boat can be loaded !!! I'm going to make up a bow stop after the boat is loaded and I can see exactly where the height ends up...
    All in all it really wasn't a bad conversion it was actually a fun project..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Would it be possible to change out the axles with brakes that work? Change out the hubs?

Yes, trailer axles are fairly cheap,are standardized and come in different weight bearing sizes...With our minis you don't really need trailer brakes but you can certainly add them if you feel more comfortable using them...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I was asked what galvanizing epoxy spray I used on the trailer frame and components...It's been out in the weather and holding up nicely...Anyhow, here's the paint I used...This gives the gray color that closely matches the galvanized finish...I've also used VHT chassis and rollbar epoxy and that has held up very well in the elements also...At this point there's only 2 colors available for the VHT and that's gloss and satin black...And lastly, I've tried good old rustoleum cold galvanizing compound and it does the job but has no resistance to abrasion it will come right off the part if even lightly scuffed so I though I would throw that out there....
    Last edited by Corky; 12-11-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine