Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more engine problems

more engine problems

i got all my parts for the belt drive and my new razor x prop. they don't make the whirlwind mini prop any more or the composite hub. got it all together and set my pitch on prop which is a little tricky. no level spot on prop 3 in from tip so i used a strait edge and digital level and set both blades the same 12 degrees. took it out and i couldn't believe the difference in the razor prop and the ultra. the razor was unbelievably quiet. the ultra sound was like a swarm of bees. the push was great and as soon as i pushed it wide open it was on plane. now to the bad part. i took my son out for some flounder gigging and and boat performed great until we started to stop and it backfired and died sound like a shot gun. well i tried to start it and it would start and backfire every time i tried to give a little gas and die again. we did this over and over again until we got back to ramp. at least we didn't have to paddle a mile. the backfiring blew one of my exhaust off and the excessive cranking burned up the starter and chipped a tooth on the starter clutch. i had 3 mags which 2 are brand new that i can't get to fire and 1 will only fire on 3 cylinders. not giving up so i ordered a new mag a new starter and a new solex carburetor. going to start fresh and beat this thing of bad luck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhv4RpPmqU8

Re: more engine problems

Any chance the Distributor, if it has one , came loose ?
    It sounds like a timing thing to me or the carb got a piece of
    Dirt in it and is FLODING a lot...

its the 4a084 engine and the mag was shorting out. i put a used one on and it ran ok but had a skip on no 3 cylinder. just put a new set of spark plugs in and no spark to plug from wire. also my starter wasn't burned up as i thought the battery was dead from leaving the front led light on. now i'll have a spare starter. i used to carry one on the old airboat just in case. it was a 350 chevy.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 06-06-2017 at 08:08 PM.

it is nice to know that the razor prop is a lot quieter. i will have to keep that in mind, as i still am looking for things to get for my 084 motor. thats the fun with having two different styles of drives, my cuyuna with the gear box is one direction, and the 084 is the other.
    picked up a 3/4" aluminum plate today for a good price. slowly starting to get things together for making my own redrive for the 084
    hope you get that back fire figured out. do you have a burned valve or was it the timing?

the mag was a couple months old but it was cross firing some how. i put the used one on and misfires on one cylinder but will rev up which the other mag would only rev to maybe 1200 and then backfire. i think a new mag will fix the engine problem. i drilled out the idle jet a little too much and fouled out the plugs and that didn't help.

just wonder if there is some carbon tracking on the magneto cap? which would send the spark to the weakest link
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks like it jumped up on plane quickly...Nice, I'd be happy with that too...I know Aerokirk was experimenting with changing the whirlwind prop pitch a little it makes me wonder where he ended up setting his...I hope you get it straightened out for some uneventful fun time.. I think you're just about there..
    Nice video what a great area to travel around !!!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Right now I'm set at 10 degrees (measured 3" in from the tips on the flat side). That's running the 084 with a Circle-S reducer. I'm happy with the thrust and top end rpms at that setting.

Ted
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

well that got me thinking when my razor was set at 12 degrees i could only turn 3300 rpm wide open when the engine was running good maybe i misread my digital level. i dropped it down to 8 degree and could turn 3900 rpm. i set it down because it didn't sound like it was turning a lot of rpm and my son was going with me and i thought i needed more push at low end. it ran great and got on plane with both of us an ran 26 mph so i was happy until the mag shorted and it started back firing and ruint our night. just got the new mag and in process of installing it. back to the pitch i'm not sure any of my readings were correct. i'm using a cheep foreign made one' it has a measuring surface of about 2 1/4 in and i can slide it up or down on the prop 3 inches from the tip and get a different reading.thats why i used a straight edge across the tip of the prop on top of the leading edge to the bottom of the prop and got my measurements and made sure the prop was sitting horizontal with face of prop strait up and down.

I bought a craftsman digital level with a few different settings and it's tough getting the readings exact from one blade to the next...Same deal for me just measure in from the tip and get both the same...If anything the craftsman is too accurate and I'm adjusting down to 10ths of a degree....I guess it's not really how accurate the given reading is...It's more a matter of using the same technique/tool each time then adjust the pitch into the range you're looking for...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

exactly corky.the reading doesn't really matter just so both are the same and prop is in same place mean on the same side of engine when checked. mine would give me a different reading from one side of boat to the other. all my readings were on the right side of boat with leading edge pointing up.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 06-09-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Keep at it, they all have bugs to work out before the enjoyment comes. They are a really reliable engine once you get it all figured out.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

yes it is a good little engine. just got the new mag on and after adding a little oil to carburetor to get the compression back up it cranked up and runs like it's supposed to. now to find time to run it.

just talked to marty bray and he said my new boat would be ready in 2 weeks. now that i got this engine straightened out it time to invest in a new 116 airboat hull.

it would be fun to run across one of hulls here in Alaska. they look like they are well put together

Nice...Any custom colors on the hull ??? Make sure to take some pics so we can all be jealous...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

no just plain old grey.

You'll be glad you picked a Marty Bray hull ... he does great work! They scoot through the water good and are totally controllable. If you're rudders are designed right you'll find that you can turn 360's in the length of the boat, it just pivots around the center. Very handy when you get yourself in a tight spot.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

aerokirk your build sold me on the 116 mini pro. the way your's run was just what i was looking for. plenty of power and i can't say enough about the razor x. it a great and quiet prop just like my whisper tip. they look almost identical except the whisper tip is a lot bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by aerokirk View Post
    You'll be glad you picked a Marty Bray hull ... he does great work! They scoot through the water good and are totally controllable. If you're rudders are designed right you'll find that you can turn 360's in the length of the boat, it just pivots around the center. Very handy when you get yourself in a tight spot.
    Like this? Someone questioned my rudder setup so I had to record this.
    https://youtu.be/PZQZbKgMf0Y
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA