Thread: Solex Carb Heat?

Solex Carb Heat?

I am thinking about the Solex carb, but I am concerned about carb ice. This engine is going on an airplane.

I was thinking about two options
    1. Somehow wrapping an oil line around the carb to keep it warm
    2. Setting up the air intake so that it draws air through an external oil cooler, that in theory should warm up the air.

Re: Solex Carb Heat?

I'm not sure that the conditions on the water would ever be comparable at altitude but I've never come close to icing since running the Solex setup. I know some of the turbo guys build a box around them to pressurize them so there is info out there. I'd think that something aluminum mounted to the block or maybe even a heat riser setup would take care of any concerns.

I do feel comfortable enough in this setup to suggest it for experimental aircraft but it not my butt on the line. I'm not sure how you guys do it. On the water is one thing, in the air not so much. I would recommend two good filters on it, I have never had a total shut down but have lost power because of dirt. One of the guys here is also a pilot who may chime in, he uses this setup also on his airboat.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Solex Carb Heat?

I would recommend that you fab up an air box with internal butterfly between your carb and air filter similar to what production aircraft utilize. Warm air is then directed into the box via scat tube from a shroud around the exhaust pipe/muffler. JMO
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging