Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wow how prices do change

Smile wow how prices do change

I called arrow props today to order a reduction for my 084. They said the price was 729.00
    and the web site said 699.00. i guess it's there right to change prices
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-04-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Re: wow how prices do change

got the reduction today but i didn't get the bracket for the motor mounts. guess i'll use the ones i have. maybe they don't include that bracket any more would save them some money.

from the pictures, that i have seen i always thought the bracket would have been included, did it come with the shaft & belts?
    if you dont mind me asking, what is the outside diameter of the pulleys?
    the reason is. down the road i am looking at trying to incorporate what i have on hand to set me up a redrive.

i have 2 setups that i have aquired in the past. a 2.6 ratio 5-v belt set up. and a 2 to 1 ratio micro-v belt set up.

both of the smaller pulleys are for a 30mm taper.
    the options that i am looking at if i were to use any of this, would be to use the larger micro-v pulley for my drive pulley. (mount it to the arrow prop hub that i have.) and purchase or make up the larger driven pulley to get a 1.65 ratio.

or purchase or fab up the smaller 5-v groove pulley, for the drive pulley, and use the 8" larger pulley for my driven pulley.

so on the bracket that you are going to make, how thick is it going to be? i just remember reading that some have had to put some stiffeners on the bracket that they purchased from Arrow Prop to help with some flexing.
    good luck with putting you redrive together. and cant wait to see some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the top pulley is 7 in and the bottom is 4.326 which i think makes it 1.60 to 1. the backing plate is 3/8 in which is heavy as heck. the shaft is welded to the backing plate. the mounts i am going to use is 1/8 2x2 angle. maybe too thin with the length it will have to be may go 1/4 in. the belt is banded notched v belt and really stiff. seems to be quality stuff. all holes lined up perfect but missing the engine mount bracket that has the belt tensioner bolts on the bottom. the plate i got looked like the 6 in angle that comes on the briggs reduction.i'm going to put a starter to the top pulley. i was going to use the chevy 12 in flex plate but the belt needs to be a couple of inches longer and it would take a lot to stretch this belt. i'll probably wind up using a harley 102 tooth ring gear. it's 8 5/8 outside and would fit fine with this belt and a spacer to bolt it to the back of top pulley. not in to machining a circle and heating the ring gear to put on the plate. the ring gear already has holes drilled in it so im going to try to go the easy way. sure did like the way the chevy starter turned out and worked flawless

here is the bracket they sent me.

more pic. the next last picture shows 3 counter sunk bolt holes to hold pulley from coming off unless removed. i thought they were 75 mm pattern but they were a little to narrow and i'll need to drill 6 holes for 75 mm pattern. the outside holes are sae1.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-06-2017 at 07:59 PM.

question, the angle bracket with the 2 allen head bolts. doesn't that go at the bottom of the motor, and use the 2 allen head bolts to tension the main bracket.
    with only seeing pictures of this on the web, and nothing that close up. it almost looks like you have the bottom tensioning bracket for the motor below. the one i see for the 084 motor appears to be longer.
    but it looks like you are having fun.

thanks again for the sizes on the pulleys. from what i could tell. if i just purchased the Arrow drive pulley, and used my 8" pulley, i would get around a 1 to 1.83 ratio. (just a little tall)
    my larger micro-v pulley is around 4-3/8" diameter. and on a lathe i would feel more comfortable in making the micro grooves, vers. the deeper cut V-groove.
    i have also thought about purchasing some 8mm cog belt pulleys that they sell for supercharges. and adapt them to what i have. but with only being able to look at them on the web.and not being able to look at them in person. i have a few unanswered questions. but this all gives me something to think about.
    i just need to get spend more time on getting this first build done, before spending too much more money on my next one.
    but it is fun to dream.

exactly i think they sent me the wrong bracket. going to give them a call and find out what happened.they assured me it would be a 1.69 to1 ratio. unless i'm measureing it wrong it's not.

i think as long as your measurement is measured from the same point of reference between the 2 pulleys, it could be on the top of the groove, or at the bottom. Just as long as it is consistent between both of them.
    then it is just a math ratio thing. i have been using the link http://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx
    to play around with the diameters of the pulleys to see what could work for me.
    i have also found a stanley 33-115 circumference tape helps out a lot. used it when i was measuring the diameter of the rope starter pulley. so i could get the exact diameter to calculate for the timing marks.
    good luck

every time i check the pulleys none is exact. last measurement was 6.7/8 by4.240. any just so the engine will turn the whirlwind prop i'm fine.thanks bart for the link. real handy. another surprise looking at my 0235 engine and found it had a starter mount so maybe i can use it on the 084. 17181 chrysler starter. for harley 102 tooth ring gear.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-08-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Just talked to jerry at arrow props and he said it was a mistake and was shipping out the right bracket tomorrow.

im glad that you were able to find some answers as to why the fit up was not working. and good score with the starter motor. there is an build on this forum where Chuck built a mini airboat with an orange cage, and they had some good pictures of how they modified the arrow prop set up to be used with the same things you have on hand.

trying keep the tape from falling in the grooves, is kind of entertaining. especially when you only have 2 hands. but wrapping a piece of paper around the pulley, keeps the tape from falling in the grooves.
    the nice thing about this it will give you readings to the 64th of an inch, the last picture is of the smaller 5-groove pulley, but i didn't have it to tight. the pulley is 3" dia. but holding it loose it was reading 3-1/32".

so if i was to use any of the pulleys that i have, and keep the ratio close to 1.65
    i would need to find a 5" 5 groove pulley. or with the micro-v set up i could go 2 directions, fab up a drive (smaller) pulley 2-3/4" diameter, or make a driven or larger pulley at 7-1/2" diameter.
    but all of this would be a little ways out.
    i still may dabble with the cog style. i have this on my newest snowmachine, and it puts out 170 ponies. and the 084 motor doesn't put out near the stress on the belt drive system.
    i think that is what i like most about this forum and many of the posting on here, is that there are a lot of great ideas that are tossed around, on how to improve things with this motor. and still keep it reliable.
    but good luck with this upgrade. i think that you are really going to like running the motor at the top of its power band. can't wait to see what your set up looks like with the correct parts.

i was wondering if i could get your opinion about the gearing that you ran with your cuyuna, below is what i am looking at the moment.
    for my cuyuna motor i have picked up some more gear boxes. it came with a 3.06 ratio. which would give me a prop speed of 1,797 prop rpms at 5500 engine speed. and i now have the 2.65 ratio gear box, which would add 278 rpms to my prop speed.
    so once i get this going. i still will have some options to play with.

you will need a larger prop with the 3.06 reduction to get enough prop rpm to push good. the 2.65 is what i perfer. you can use an ultra prop at 10 and maybe 12 degrees and push i person just fine and shouldn't have to keep your foot in it all the time. my gear box was making so much noise you couldn't hear the motor running but it did work good on a 11x5 alum boat.just about all the pulley sizes i put in the calculator says a 1.69 to 1 so i'm happy with the reduction size. im going to purchase a longer belt and notch out the slotted holes in the backing plate to make the chevy flexplate work.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-09-2017 at 04:01 PM.

i got a package from arrow props and guess what - wrong again. the sent me the bracket i already had. so i guess i'll call them again tomorrow. at least i got the starter working after all day on not knowing what would work and what wouldn't. i got the harley 102 tooth ring gear in yesterday. i meshed it up withe chevy ring gear i was using and they are an exact fit. i was expecting it to fit the chrysler starter but it didn't match up the teeth were too course the chevy 9 tooth had a fine pattern same as harley ring gear. well i was surprised to see that when all i read about the belt drive starter it took a chrysler starter.well i didn't want to find someone to fit the ring gear on a plate to make it work so the afro enginering kicked in and i cut the center out of the chevy ring gear and bolted it to the rear of the pulley with the sae1 bolt pattern the top pulley came with and welded a plate to the top right of the backing plate to mount the starter. to me it works good a little different sound than a chevy usually makes but a good sound no shims at all. if i need to shim it later when i get the 67 mini whirlwind prop in i will know what i need to do. tried it without belt or prop so all may go down the drain when its all together. we'll see. to dark for pictures. maybe later. ps when i called whirlwind props i asked about an aluminum hub for thr instead of a composit one. they said it only comes with an aluminum hub with 75 mm bolt pattern.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-11-2017 at 09:10 PM.

got the belt on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3lwtnYOjgc
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-15-2017 at 02:09 PM.

No video at that link?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

just checked it and is working for me. hmm a lot of background noise i didn/t know was there until i posted it. changed it to my you tube page.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 05-14-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Not working for me either...It's trying to get me to sign in to something...
    Last edited by Corky; 05-14-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

see if this works.
    Last edited by Papee; 05-15-2017 at 06:49 PM.

NOPE!
    not for me anyway