Thread: V belt pulley adapter

V belt pulley adapter

I need some help I purchased A4084 engine and need to mount a v belt pulley on it . I'm planning to use it to power a sawmill lm building . Saturan surplus has one for a4032 any ideals where one may be purchased . Thanks for your help

Re: V belt pulley adapter

are you planning on leaving the factory flywheel and shrouds on the 084 for cooling?

Yes for better cooling

Also so I can use the electric starter

from looking at the parts and pieces that i have, last summer i picked up a couple of used 042 motors,with the generator attached. (these are a 084 cut in half.)
    with what i have on hand, i would purchase the key shaft that Saturn has for sale. and mate it up to the adapter plates that connect the coils to the flywheel. i might need to machine a small stub that would fit inside the key shaft that saturn sells and the plate it would bolt up to. this would help keep everything centered.
    i am sure that there are a couple of other ways that you could make this work. but that would take a lot more machine work. and where Saturn will sell the key shaft for 50 bucks. really cant beat the price.
    hope the pictures help explain.

also i would purchase a 12 volt starter motor that went on a Saturn car from the 90's, there are a couple of discussions about this on this forum. that would simplify things also.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Bart; 04-24-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks Bart I will start looking for a plate

They make an adapter that has a keyed 7/8 or 1" shaft that bolts onto the four bolt holes on the fan/flywheel. If you got that you could use any pulley.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    They make an adapter that has a keyed 7/8 or 1" shaft that bolts onto the four bolt holes on the fan/flywheel. If you got that you could use any pulley.
    I found one for a a4032 but haven't found one for a 4084 yet . I called Saturn surplus they said they haven't had one in quite sometime for my motor . But I'm still looking lol. Thanks for your help papee .

looking at the some of the other options.
    one problem that might come up with using the stock items that I have on hand. the plate that is attached to the windings, is only 1/8" thick.
    the windings is a good chuck of mass that it rotates, but it has a bearing on the outside end to keep it in line.
    just don't know how much it would flex under a side load without the end bearing.

another thought would be to purchase a round stock of aluminum or steel, that is 1 or 2 inches thick and wide enough to cover the 4 center bolts on the flywheel. use a lathe, center it to the middle of the flywheel. and then on the other side, match it to the shaft hub that Saturn surplus sells or something similar.
    me, I like using 6061 aluminum, for it is a lot easier to turn on a lathe.
    it wouldn't take to much lathe work, to make this happen.

EBay and Amazon have round Aluminum plate
    In many thicknesses and sizes at VERY affordable
    Prices.

I think I have the adapter covered a buddy of a buddy is pretty sure he can machine one for me . He owes me a favor lol.
    What do I need to do to the stock wiring harness for a on off start it has a plug of some kind about in the middle . This is the one area that I'm not to good with . I also got the 4032 to fire and run today it seems to run fine for about a min then either floods or run out of gas sticking float maybe . But sounds good till then hope to get the 4084 fired this weekend . Thanks again for everyone's help.