Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A better look for the waterbug

A better look for the waterbug

DANG Photobucket

I figured I would at least set the bug motor on the cat hulls. My buddy is ill and we could not get started actually mounting it.

Last edited by Coyotes-R-Us; 07-09-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Re: A better look for the waterbug

looks like fun. it is good to see it moving along

Still working.
    I went as far s I can on the boat port for a wail.
    I did not go calling and the lawn did not need to be messed with.
    Water bug time.
    My buddy and I welded up some of the motor platform but did no get it welded to the boat.
    I added some Pillars to disperse the weight , not welded in yet. I used a hole saw and cut the Sq tubing and drove it in , should hold better then just welded to the out side.

A VW motor mounts only to the transaxle so no actual motor mounts. I mane one . the motor will set on it and I'll bolt it on with the 2 studs on the front of the motor under the front pulley.

Then I plan on having a heave "L" bracket from the trany bell housing mount holes to the front of the motor mount.

The oil sump is in the very bottom of the case I had to cut a hole to change the oil.

Now I need more welding...

Looks like you're getting there!! That's some involved engineering to mount that engine...

Photobucket has decided to charge people to host your pics...One buddy said they wanted 400 bucks from him !!! There's too many free hosting sites out there for them to try for a money grab like that with their members...So you'll be seeing a lot more of those notices around the internet...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I have not been slacking.
    Still working on it.
    Making a bracket on the back of the VW motor around the flywheel.
    Making a starter bracket to mount the original starter.
    My buddy , my welder , Is off playing on the other side of the divide.
    We will be busy when he gets back.
    I'll get up some pics.

Well I'm still Fabricating.
    I made a VW motor mount and starter mount.
    So the Motor is officially attached to the Hull.
    At least the back of the motor.

Attached Images Attached Images       

You're moving through uncharted territory there with this build it makes it tough to just do it everything needs some thought...I'm assuming that you're eventually taking the shields off the engine ??? We built a VW DD airboat years ago..We took the bellhousing off a transaxle,fastened it to the engine stand behind the operators seat then mounted the bare VW engine to that...It was nice and clean looking..But in your case it wouldn't be possible to mount it like that ..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Yes, driving off the back is definitely the hard way to go.
    We are planning to leave the tin on , to keep it warm in the winter/fall.

Your getting closer, sometimes it seems that nothing gets done real quick, when you are doing a custom build like yours, it has been great to always see the progress.

Here's my memories of our VW engine build from years ago...We did a direct drive using an old bellhousing from a VW beetle and mounted it behind the seat...It had a cylinder head temperature gauge and a wood prop...In our crazyness we actually use a modified V hull !! Believe it or not this thing would spin on a dime compared to the standard jon boat hull.. Anyhow we ran everywhere up and down this river with it and the only limiting factor was the engine temperature..
    So what I'm getting at is we had to stop every so often and let the head temps come back down then take back off for another run...Yes it was tuned correctly and wasn't running lean creating more heat than normal...This engine liked the cold weather and actually ran better than the summer months...Now, we weren't running in below freezing temps but I think you'll find the same with that engine..The constant higher RPMs will keep the engine more than warm...
    So to me those shields aren't really needed even in colder temps but more importantly it appears those shields are going to block some valuable air flow to the prop for that much needed thrust using your CAT hull...
    I'm by no means trying to build it for you I just wanted you to think about all possibilities with your build with some real world input from me..As I've said before no choice is the wrong choice it's just some have a better outcome than others...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Cool.
    Did you run off the front or Back .
    I do know from the old bugs that still
    Run around here say you have to get them HOT in the
    Winter and keep them hot to run good.
    I'm open to ALL thoughts, PLEASE .
    Thanks.

Here is a thought on the cooling tin and air to the Prop.
    Do you think It will stop more then a person sitting in font of the prop?
    The center of the prop will be about two feet above the center of the
    Crankshaft. We will be sitting in the cats to the side.
    I do have to make something, to duct in the air for the cooling Fan.
    I'm afraid the prop will steal all the air at the back of the motor.

And the cold air is definitely the unknown value in the equation...The side shields look ok but it sure looks like the package above the engine will block some air..I realize you'll have a reduction on there but it's not going to be like a stripped down engine with minimal obstructions... I'm not trying to make you second guess yourself it's not my intentions...I just want you to be aware at some point you might decide to strip the cooling shields and system off the engine so as you build around it keep that in mind so you leave that option open without major mods to the build...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotes-R-Us View Post

I'm afraid the prop will steal all the air at the back of the motor.
    I didn't understand what you meant until I looked at the one pic...So this air cooling system is like the 084 where the cooling fan rotates and directs air the opposite direction as the prop is pulling the air...Is it possible to make a sheetmetal duct that would pull the air in from the outer edges on each side and use the air charge from the prop to your advantage ??? Here's a crude pic of what I'm referring to The air intakes are in red and would be facing forward to catch a small amount of the rushing air...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

That's exactly what I intend to do.
    The carb Is on the front, the prop should not bother it, correct?

Front Motor mount and attitude adjuster.
    Last edited by Coyotes-R-Us; 09-12-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Cool. I got the primary clutch and carrier bearing on and will do a test hopefully this week. I had to reposition the starter a bit to let it turn . Looks better. I'm still not for certain the 1600cc will turn the clutch fast enough to make it engage and change the ratio on the drive. It should.

another pic

Today I did a Major test . A+!!!!! 1971 VW bug 1600cc undetermined mileage motor. This set in a shed for maybe 30 years. I Got a new carb at amazon ( still factory settings ), New coil, plugs wires points and condenser. I set the valves and point with a feeler gauge ,remember them ?a year ago I had it running on the ground for like 5 minutes for the first test of the clutch adaptor that I had made. It failed in moments. I redesigned and had it fabbed up again, This time with a carrier bearing and a shaft that went in to the piolet bearing in the crank. I Have not ran it since. I built the hull made the motor mounts and finally mounted it on the boat. Made a mount for the carrier bearing re did the starter to fit. It is About a year later. Today I needed to start it up and see if my primary clutch off the 1969 Johnson snowmobile would even work. Dang! I put the fuel line in to a gas can and hit the starter. A dozen turns and she came to life. I have not put a timing light on it yet but it ran very smooth from, 800 rpm (Idle) after the electric choke came all the way off , to 5000 rpm ( as fast as I wanted to turn it unloaded). As stated in the information I could find on the clutch It engaged at 1700rpm and at 3100 rpm was fully moved in for the reduction change. Everything sounded smooth and solid. I ran it for a half hour or so at 2500 rpm. I still have to do some work on my temp and oil psi gauges apparently, but the oil on the dip stick was still cool to the touch. NICE! Next to mount the secondary clutch, and see if that part works as expected !!!

Great news !!! Glad it's all working out for you.... That's probably just what you needed to get that second wind and get it done...It'll be interesting to see that clutch in action...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine