Thread: 350 mini starter on 084

350 mini starter on 084

followed Bart's pictures he posted an starter worked perfect.Thanks bart.Easier to fit than when i had put the starter on the front pulley. Almost as easy as using a bmw starter and original bell housing and flywheel. Needed to take the flywheel off to see if that was causing my low amount of push. Will find out soon. With new utra prop no reason it won't push like it should.

https://youtu.be/E-dXnh8OzWQ

Re: 350 mini starter on 084

some pictures might help.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 04-01-2017 at 09:48 PM.

i am glad that my picts. were able to help you out.
    a couple of questions, about the motor not developing enough power

what is the size of the pitch blocks that are on the prop?
    is the motor running on all 4 cylinders?
    is the motor running too lean or too rich?
    it seems like every fall when I start working on my snowmachines. it is either the fuel or the clutching that is giving me fits. sometimes I am lucky and it is just a fouled spark plug.
    sometime i would like to upgrade my starter to the style you have.
    it is finally starting to warm up. and with having some time off work in a week, i hope to have everything ready to start up my 084, and give an update on all these mods that i have been playing on this last winter.

Bart i tried 10 pitch blocks and would turn 2700 rpm. i cut the prop down 2 inches and i would turn 3100. but after a couple of minutes running wide open it would start to loose power oil temp was 190 and would die down to and idle but would not shut off. let it idle about 30 seconds and it would take off and run another minute or so and do the same thing. i tried feathering the choke and no change in rpm just kept loosing power. i put a new mag on and haven't tried it yet. hoping the mag was the problem. i bought a new ultra prop 59 inch and 8 pitch blocks. on the trailer it turns 3000 rpm. motor runs good and idles fine. it is just like it is running out of gas. temp not excessive. if it doesn't work out with this prop and new mag i will try something different. i won't give up till it is fixed or blown up. the starter setup has to have no more than 1 inch spacer. i had to remove lower stud bolt from oil pump plate and counter sink the hole for taper headed screw. i used the outer bolt pattern to bolt through the flywheel and had to machine out center hole in flywheel to fit hub. i bolted starter as close to edge of 4 inch angle as possible and took out the 2 shims in the starter in case i needed to shim it out. it worked just like an auto engine no shims at all. easy job. now if it will perform well when i take it out. too much house repair right now to play.

Looks like a nice option for a starter...Easy and light..

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

it can really make a person, stand back and really do some head scratching. where it will run at full throttle, for a little bit then fall off. it almost sounds like a fuel issue. but what, and where to look is the entertainment.
    from my limited experience
    if it was running rich. your plugs would be fouled, and it wouldn't idle.
    sometimes i have pulled the plugs, and i can see them spark. but for some reason they will not spark under compression. ( i am contemplating on changing my plug wires over to the regular car wires for this reason. if i want to see if a plug is not working, all i need to do is pull a wire off the spark plug. and listen to see if the RPM changes)
    could be something blocking the fuel delivery, a collapsed fuel line, carb floats set to low, vapor lock,
    one time i had a plastic bag in the fuel tank, and it would suck up against the suction tube. took me a while to catch that one.
    do you have bad gas, or water in the tank
    what condition is the pickup line in the fuel tank?
    is there any air leaks , after the carburetor? or is a spark plug loose.
    do you still have good compression, when the motor is warmed up

these are a few of the things that i have came across, when dealing with fuel problems with my toys.
    when you find the problem, let me know. and good luck.
    I don't know if there is anything more frustrating. than a sporadic problem like what you are having.

everything is new. new tank new electric fuel pump,efi fuel lines, filter and even a new battery. also new plug wires and plugs.brand new solex carb and intake by papee.plenty of rpm but hard to plane and stay on plane and with this dying out every couple of minutes has got me stumped.if the new mag doesn't fix it i'm at a loss. i can spray starting fluid around intake and intake tubes and no change in rpm at idle. i will definately let you know what i find out and thanks for the suggestions. one thing i forgot the first time i run it it runs longer say 2 minutes wide open and when it dies down it will backfire through the carburetor and next time it dies down it's less than a minute and the next time it.s less than that.just like my outboard when the water pump went out and and was overheating but my oil temp never went over 190 if the gauge is right.could my timing too far off?fast forward to 5;15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5bsX20xEM&t=758s

Last edited by bgmcl60; 04-03-2017 at 12:07 PM.

The only thing I can suggest is a good clear filter right at the carb that can be taken apart and cleaned. These carbs are really susceptible to dirt. I had problems scratching my head for months on this. I cleaned the carb taking out all the jets, put in the new filter and it's been great since. I can see little particles in the clear tube of the filter. This gas we have is just terrible on gas lines. My problem was the pump ball, the gas ate it away and broke it down. Mine did the same thing at time shutting down but always restarting and would run fine for about a mile then the same thing.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

papee i think you are right about the fuel being crap. when i was feathering the choke to richen it up it was trying to die out and the fuel might have been just too low in carb to pull any up. i could let it idle for a few seconds and it was ok until a minute or less it would die down. i'm going to take carb apart and clean it again. it was so bad the last time the crap from the old gas tank completely blocked the needle and seat and i had to replace it. could have been some trash still floating around somewhere. i do have a clear filter at carb and a regular one at the tank.

You know, I've had more trouble with fuel this past winter than I've had before...Even with fuel stabilizer{startron and/or stabil 360} added it gave me problems and I needed to deal with bad gas in just about everything around the house..I'm not sure if they changed the formula or it's something else but it's not fun ripping everything apart when it's cold out just to get the snow moved...Let's hope the sumer toys made it through the winter without the added drama this spring...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

did you find the problem? i hope that when you opened up the carb, you were able to find the elusive problem.

not yet too busy working on house. soon maybe.

i finally got to take the boat out and no surprise it did the same thing. after a couple minutes it started dying down. it had more push and a lot faster with the new ultra prop but the same problem. i noticed while on the boat trailer and aircleaner off i could choke it and it would die down and give it just a little choke it would pick up to 3100 and die back down when i opened the choke full. so i new it had to be fuel related. took carb back off and clean as brand new. i had installed a see through filter at carb on papee"s suggestions and never took it apart. it looked clean with no debri in it. i took it apart and found a piece of rubber looked like when i put a filter on it sliced a chunk of rubber off. it lodged inside the filter and i couldn"t see it it being ouiet large enough to block the fuel flow was my problem. could'nt believe i had done all this work for a piece of rubber. took it out last night frogging and ran about 4 miles wide open and ran great not a sputter. ran it up on plane and jumped right up even with all the wind. finally had a great night.

glad that you found the problem, with out having to tear into it to much. my luck is usually runs the other way, when trouble shooting

Mine acted the exact same when I was having the problem. It would always restart fine but didn't run well long. I kept trying to blame it on something harder but no, just disintegrated rubber from the darned hoses from the gas. Glad you got it fixed!
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA