Thread: Carb flooding

Carb flooding

i finally got a chance to take the boat out for a test run. didn't want to plane, pushing hard on nose. so i took some shims out of front mount it was better not good though so i took all the shims out and that made it terrible. i put two washers back in of the four i took out and planed out good even in deep water. i noticed i heard a gurgling noise from carb while i was work on shims and noticed i had to hold gas pedal wide open to start so i shut it back down and took the air cleaner off and gas was dripping on throttle plate while sitting.got it back home and removed carb and the needle and seat was plugged with black specks not like dirt but like gas that dried and cristalized. cleaned needle and threw away the tiny filter in the fitting on carb. it was plugged too. started it back up and it did the same thing. the needle is made in the seat and no way of knowing if i got all the junk out of it. so i ordered a new needle and seat and new gas tank. i dont know if i will run out of money or patience first. just not been my lucky week. i was using the same gas tank when i had the cuyuna 440 on this boat and had the same problem also the original carb on the 084 had the same trouble. maybe a new tank will fix my problem.
    Last edited by bgmcl60; 01-14-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Re: Carb flooding

sounds like you are going to have a whole new set up. i have had my share of fun times with the gas that is made these days. on my older snowmobiles, the gas pickup line is a tygon tube with weighted filter on the end, an if i didn't keep up on changing them out. the tygon would become all gummy and then fall apart. that really makes a fun day
    i have had something similar to these black specs with my diesel fuel tank for my home, don't know if it is paint chips from inside the tank or the fuel lines. but after installing some golden rod filters i killed 2 birds, no more black specs or water. but what a headache.
    good luck with the week coming up.

all the lines are new an just installed a new filter. you would thinka brand new filter would have caught this unless it came from the new lines. you can't see any trash in the clear filter. maybe i'll flush out another section of line before replacing it with the new tank. i bought 30 feet of 5/16 fuel hose and used some of it on one of my outboards and one of the carbs on it got stopped up and i had to clean idle circuit of bottom carb. 60 4 stroke yamaha. maybe the fuel line could have something in it that don't like ethanol. just a wild guess.

I banged my head against the wall all last year on a problem like this but mine was no gas. It was tiny bits of gas line getting through. I changed my gas line to a better line and put a filter right at the carb. I used a clear filter that is cleanable. I could see bits getting in there until it got cleaned out.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

i got the tank in and waiting for the an style fittings to come in so i can hook up a clear hose to the 2 bottom fittings so i know how much gas is in the tank. i didn't see anything in the filter next to fuel pump so i replaced the line from the filter to pump and short line from fuel pump to carb. took the fuel pump apart to check diaphram and it looked new so i think the fuel line was the problem. it was not but a month old and been using same tank on the cuyuna i had on this boat before but i'm goin to replace the tank it's 12 gal and the other one is 6 gallon. so just an upgrade.