Thread: Engine Oil

Engine Oil

OK stupid question:

I'm trying to find lubrication instructions in the manual and all it says is to refer to:

" 3-2. Lubrication. Refer to LO 9-2805-259-12 and perform operator level lubrication procedures. Operate theengine (para. 2-9) for at least 5 minutes, after lubrication. Stop the engine (para. 2-10) and perform operator levelafter Operation Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS)."

The problem is that I can't find "LO 9-2805-259-12". Any thoughts? I'm assuming oil is added through the filler tube? I know it sounds dumb to ask but I just want to confirm since thats a big no-no for cars. Thanks

Re: Engine Oil

No stupid questions except the one's you don't ask... Yes, fill it through the filler tube...In this case that's why the 084's tube is so much bigger than the automotive tubes...So it doesn't take 2hrs to fill the crankcase with oil......Anyhow...during an oil change you want to fill the oil filter before spinning it on the engine...Then add oil {most are using at a minimum 15-40 WT oil like Rotella diesel oil or better quality} run it as as stated for 5 mins then LET THE OIL DRAIN BACK TO THE PAN for a few minutes before checking the level on the stick...As like any other engine you may get a false, low reading on the stick without that brief wait...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Engine Oil

Thanks Corky. If you're ever in South Texas I owe you at least 6 pack for your help!