Thread: My first post,

My first post,

Hello,

i am happy to have found your site, I guess I will start by saying why I joined your site, I am afraid it is a sad story at least for pet lovers, this past week end I lost my 2 dogs, they went through the ice, I had to watch them swim and howl, no one could do anything. I promised myself no other dogs would drown on my property, but I did not know how

then after looking at videos I found Air Boat on ice,

so my idea is to build a small Air boat, I have already bought an Air motor, I don't know much about it, so if any one can help me, I would like to post a picture of my motor but I do not know how

the motor is a 2 stroke Chaparal, with a 36 to 40 inch prop, they told me it was an old air boat that the ministry of natural resource use to pick rice in the late 70's? I paid $300.00 not too bad I think?

their is no deck or boat, it was made of wood,

i do not know how big of a boat I need, how wide, how long, what I would like is big enough for 3 people
    a driver and a recovery person, plus room for a dog or a drowning person.
    I might be asking too much.
    Also the prop is original it is made out of laminated wood, but it's split delaminates, thei must be fibreglass or carbon blades now?

Thnx i will be doing allot of reading this winter,

Re: My first post,

Hello Arctic Robert and welcome to the site...

Here's the info on how to post pics on the site...Keep in mind they need to be resized depending on the size...I usually cut mine down to 800x600...http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...hread-or-reply

If you still need help let us know and we'll help you out...

You've come to the right place for answers there's lots of members here that can help you build the boat you need using the engine you've bought...

Sorry to hear about your two dogs that's got to be tough...And airboat sure would make a recovery on a frozen lake an easier task from any other method I could think of...An animal is'nt going to grab the rope...

So post up your pics and lets all see what you've got to work with....

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Ok here I go my first pictures, I am not sure if they will be posted,
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It worked ��

Ok here are my new question,

this is motor and prop are old, and the prop is delaminates, so even though it's only $300.00 it might not be the best deal,

i have been doing some reading and maybe I should just get a newer 2 stroke liquid cool snow mobile motor, lots of those here. And just order a new prop, I am thinking of going composite.

I did not really look at this thing when I old the guy I would take it..... I still have time to change my mind, I have not paid him or pick it up yet, doing this on the week end

so this set up is direct drive and after doing some reading it probably has a gear reduction system, I don't know if it's worth buying just for the gear system maybe this would fit on the newer motor, also I like the idea of using the clutch system from a snow machine then the prop does not turn when idling....

so so many thing to read... I got till Saturday to buy this thing

any comment would sure help

thnx

Hi Artic Robert...Glad to see you've got the pics under control...That set-up looks like it's been out in the weather for some time...1}I would'nt trust the prop in that condition..2} Does the engine turn freely ??? 3}The cage would probably need modified to fit your application.. Do you know the horsepower rating of the engine ?? I can't tell from the pics if it does have a gear reduction or not...But you're probably correct, it might not be the best engine considering it has'nt been run in years...Not to mention you don't know the hours or condition of the engine or the reason for being set aside..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Thank you

you just made up my mind,

i am going to start from scratch, buy a newer but used motor, liquid cool, 2 stroke, not sure about the gear reduction, from what I have been reading some ppl use the clutch from their snow machine, other use a gear reduction to direct drive?

Do do we have any info on this direct drive thing! Sorry still learning the diferent name components, from what I understand on some 2. Stroke engine a gear reduction can be bolted on, any idea on what kind of motor, example would a bonbardier motor be better than a Polaris or Yamaha motor?

I would like my boat to be 14 feet total length, 5 feet wide at water 6 feet at top, I will be tuning this on ice and water and maybe a little bit of grass to put it on shore in summer. I am thinking of putting a 1/4 inch teflon "skid plate
    i have been looking at Papeete video on hulls, I was going to use a bass boat, but now I am going to build a aluminium 1/8 thick air boat hull, unless I can find a good use one. I wish I lived close to Florida, their must be lots of those, bu that would be a 4 day trip....

so what size of motor HP, and what size of prop, should I be dreaming of. Is their such a thing as too much HP on a mini?

Would be be nice if I can put 2 guys so 500lb big guys lol

Hello Corky, I found the post of you build, oh whow! I am at Page 14, what a nice build, I hope one day to have something like this.

The way you did your post and the pictures, I am learning so much, actually some of the questions Inask earlier have been answer, plus I am getting the hang of this forum.

thank you.

Glad to help and give some inspiration...There's so much to read on this site you need to read and give it some thought...I tried to make a step by step guide as I built my boat...From there everyone can change/modify their build to suit their needs...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine