Thread: crankshaft broke on generac

crankshaft broke on generac

Just got back from the lake my crankshaft broke and the prop went though the cage and my deck. Has anyone ever broke a crank on one of these generacs before. I'm pretty sure it's from running the prop out of balance for a few trips but warp drive doesn't recommend running this prop on the smaller motors direct drive. It was very windy today I was heading into the wind the boat didn't want to get on plane at first, I had to hold the throttle wide open to stay on top. Then when I made a turn the prop came off

Re: crankshaft broke on generac

Here's the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

crap !!!!

sorry to see that happen. do you think it might have weakened the crank running the prop that was out of balance before you got it balanced?
    never broke a crank but have blown a few props apart.it's not bad until you can't walk away.

Is there any evidence that the crank was cracked and finally left loose or does the break look completely fresh ??? Mabe what appeared to be a prop imbalance was actually a cracked crank getting ready to let loose....That set-up looks heavy to be hanging off the crank of that sized engine...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

There was a very small part of the break that looked discolored like it might have been cracked before you can see it by the hub on the right side. this motor has seen some wear and tear. before this prop I had a wood prop that broke and I had to run it about 4 miles to get home and at one point I had to cross a floating island of grass with the broken prop and the only way to cross it was full throttle and wiggle the boat across. I'm sure it all added up to the failure. Yes corky this prop is pretty heavy by itself plus my adapter and steel spacer I weighed what's left it's 14lbs. I will use the ultra prop again when I rebuild the cage because it's lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by yamahaulerG1; 12-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.