Thread: Dual Intake Manifold Thoughts

Threaded View

Dual Intake Manifold Thoughts

I know that there have been a few in the past that have tried a few different styles for trying to install a dual carb intake on the 4A084, but in looking through many of the threads, on this forum and other places, there are a couple of directions that I haven't seen anyone talk about.
    the recent postings about the intake mods, on installing the solex carb, has got me looking and trying to learn just a little more.
    I have been going over a lot of the postings about the carb mods on the VW motors, to see what works, what as been tried, and what ideas have fell by the wayside after a couple of years. there is not a lot of new improvements past the mid 1980's due to the rise of fuel injection.
    but there is still a big following and many ideas that are still being floated around. for the carbureted VW motors.

one item that the VW motors have incorporated is using the exhaust gas tube to heat the intake manifold, they have this for all the carb setups where the carbs are located in the center of the motor. to keep the icing under control,

on the 4A084 motor, the only 2 methods that I have seen, are to use the breather line that is routed in the stock rubber intake. or to incorporate a breather box, that will draw warmed up air off of the exhaust manifolds.

back to the intake ideas, I have a couple of different ideas that I am thinking about.
    one is to take the intakes off of the 2A042 motors that I have, and run two carbs, one off of each.
    I attached a couple of pictures of what it looks like, there is 6 inches between the center of the intakes, which will leave clearance for some EMPI 34 carbs, if I decide to go that route, or fab up a couple of 90's and install the mukuni carbs that I have on hand.
    the one item that I will need to be looking at is some good bracing for the intakes, where I turned them pointing upwards, the factory bracing doesn't really work now.

I did purchase couple of intake joints from Saturn Surplus and an thought, is to go along the route that Papee has,
    but install a 1-3/8" 90 degree elbow, that will feed into the intake. and install a single Mikuni carb. to that

an other idea is to modify the intake joint, so that I could install, an weber /empi 32/36 progressive carb, or an Holly Weber 5200 double barrel carb that is used on the 1.6 liter motors. it is with these styles, that I am finding out that they like an heated intake manifold. don't know if I would need to build a little shroud between the intake joint and the motor, to capture heat off of the motor, still thinking of what would /could work to keep the intake warm.
    I am looking this style, yes they will use a little more fuel, but I like the thought of having an carb with a primary and secondary throttle body. it is a carry over from my younger years, of opening up the secondary's in my brothers 69 GTO, and watching the watching the gas needle drop.

any way, these are just a couple of ideas, and things I have been thinking about, and will be looking as my budget will allow.
    I am seeing the need to install at least 1 or 2, O2 sensors when I get this going, so I can know what the motor is doing.
    but I do enjoy tinkering with this project, and it is fun to see where it will lead.
    Attached Images Attached Images