Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New 4a084 Build

Re: New 4a084 Build

It must be because I'm on a cell phone doing this the next best thing I can do is a screen shot of the title someone can search it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you all for the help! Yamahauler and Bart did my PM come through? Not sure they did, still learning site.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  92.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  89.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  92.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  90.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  92.2 KB

so I got a solex-Brosol h30/31 for 25 bucks from a vw guy in town (dales imports, Corpus Christi). He had more I think if anyone is in the market. Just a few before after pics of the carb rebuild. Still needs to be tuned but it shined up nice and aside from gaskets everything else looked great. Hoping for a test start in the next few weeks.

Nice score...It appears to be in good shape...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Tank you to everyone for the parts and advice... Getting closer on starting it. Does anyone have info on how to jump the starter solenoid? It's a 3 pole with two white wires and a brown wire. The top white wire runs to what looks like a thermometer on exhaust cowling and the brown is connected to a pole left of the two white wires. Do you leave everything hooked the way it is and just connect jumps to brown and bottom white wire? Sorry just confused. I'm a disaster with wiring. Thanks for any help

from my understanding the brown wire sends power to the solenoid (connected at the 9 o'clock post) when you turn the key. (my brown wire has the red connector on it)
    the bottom white wire that is connected to the post at 6 O'clock, runs back into the main control panel. (it feeds power to the ignition switch on the control panel, when it was connected to a generator. )
    the other white wire. (on mine, it is connected to the post at 12 o'clock) goes to a heat sensing thermodisc, next to the exhaust, then is connected to the electric choke. the disc is open when it is cold, allowing voltage to go and activate the choke. when the exhaust gets warm enough, the switch is closed, thus turning off the choke.

if your starter is still the 24 volt starter, you will need to connect 2 ea. 12 volt batteries in series, to get 24 volts, (just one 12 volt battery really wont turn it over fast enough.

connect the positive lead coming off the battery to the 6 o'clock post. and ground the negative cable coming off the battery to the motor, (just like on a car)
    then all that is left is to connect an ignition or a push button switch, of your choosing to the 6 & 9 o'clock posts.

This will start the motor, BUT how do you shut it OFF!!!!

On the magneto, there is a tab coming off of it. this tab will ground out the spark from the magneto. run a wire from it, to a on/off switch, then back to the motor. now you can shut off the motor.
    attached is a picture of the wire coming off the magneto on 042 motor, that goes to the main harness loom.
    it is this tab, that when grounded, it will kill the spark going to the spark plugs.

hope this helps.
    in a few of the builds/threads, this has been talked about. but it takes a good memory and time to track down the threads for all this information.
    have fun.
    sorry about the snow, we had wind gusts over 90 mph this last weekend. i think i have more snow in my shed that outside.

Warning, connect a muffler to the exhaust. it is more than a little loud. I live in town, and last summer i started it up, with no muffler. a friend heard it over a mile away, some of my neighbors, were not to happy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Bart; 01-09-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Hi Bart- 2 quick questions. Do you leave the original wiring attached? What gauge wire did you use for the 24 volt system? Thanks again

my 084 did not come with any wiring. the person i purchased it from, has 5 full sized airboats. and ran out of time and energy to make a mini airboat. and he had been sitting on it for 5-6 years.
    when you ask what gauge of wire are you referring to the battery cables, or just regular wire to run the gauges.
    looking at the 042 gen sets, (24 volt) for the much of the wire on the harness appears to be almost 18 gauge. there is not a lot of amps that are going to the gauges
    i have just been using wire that is on hand. most of it is either 16 or 14 gauge.
    as for the battery cables. i forget what the gauge of wire they are, (probably 6 gauge) i am just using battery cables that i have acquired over the years.
    hope that this answers your questions?
    Last edited by Bart; 01-10-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Yes sir! Thank you. Hopefully get her cranked up tonight!

Well I got the starter jumped but it wouldn't disengage. So I took it off and realized the coils were burned to a crisp. Luckily I have a friend who rebuilds starters so we'll see if he can work some magic on it. It'll be a few days but I'm getting closer!

One question for anyone who knows - what is the correct size socket to get the spark plugs out? I'm going to have to get tube wrenches because my deep sockets are still too short. From what I've read its a 7/8 hex?
    Last edited by qahqn8; 01-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.

I've bought 2 craftsman deep well sockets for the spark plugs...They fit and do the job...I've got my original starter if you need one...Never used..

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Thanks Corky I appreciate it. I just got word that the starter is done in. I'll PM you about your starter. Thanks again.

the socket size is 7/8.

Quote Originally Posted by qahqn8 View Post
    Thanks Corky I appreciate it. I just got word that the starter is done in. I'll PM you about your starter. Thanks again.

Well, one good thing is you'll be getting the members only deep discount rate on the new starter...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Just checking in to see if you've got your 084 fired up ??? Did you get the wiring straightened out ???

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Hey cork- thanks for checking in... i havent had a chance to work on it. Fiance was in a bad car wreck and then i got the flu. Everything is getting back to normal so ill be getting back to it.

Wow that's some bad news...I hope she's doing well and you get back on track...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Thanks cork. We'll be back on all cylinders in no time!

https://youtu.be/P2mz-X9sHxA

Hey guys -

Sorry its been so long, life got kinda crazy there for a minute. Thanks so all of your advice and spare parts, I was able to finally get that 4A084 running last night. Its got a fuel delivery issue (probably the electric pump) that I'm working out but if the carb bowl full then she cranks right up. Thanks for all of your help. Thought you may enjoy hearing the first crank!