Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: New 4a084 Build

Re: New 4a084 Build

Hey Bart:

Glad you're able to have some fun and that it doesnt guzzle fuel! I'm still using the 30/31 Brosol so it was made for the smaller VW engines. I rebuilt it and it has new pump gaskets, springs, etc. so I know nothing is wore out. I'm guessing it may still need a little bit bigger jets? Will continue to research and pester everyone!!! Seriously they may block me from this forum. I ask a hundred questions a week!

With the very few active members the veterans are just going to have to deal with us newbies. Most everyone I have come in contact with on here is very helpful and a great bunch of guys!

I couldn't agree more. This forum and group of guys is fantastic.

Took Papee's advice and loosened up the accelerator arm and it seemed to help the bogging problem quite a bit. It will rev when I hit the throttle now but i had to open it very slowly. Not sure if it was all the way warmed up either because upon further review I think my choke is not working perfectly. The choke valve will be completely open after about 30 seconds of running which seems pretty fast to me (granted I live in Corpus Christi and its been over 105 down here). The motor idles a little rough until about 2 minutes in then it smooths out, im guessing once it actually warms up. Im gonna tinker with the choke first then get back to throttle response.

65 idle jet 150 main jet and a 2.0mm needle valve i hope this helps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170721_192418.jpg 
Views:	1306 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	3439

Has anyone bought this model faria tach? They say it is universal to all outboards which to me sounds like it could work on a 4 stroke with a magneto. See directions below for the question hahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by qahqn8; 07-21-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170721_192442.jpg 
Views:	1333 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3441

Heres my hang up - it specifically says alternator. Can I hook the signal lead to the magneto? I bought it because i got a deal on it but id prefer not to fry it. any help is appreciated
    Last edited by qahqn8; 07-21-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Well, I hate to say it and be the bearer of bad news but...that's the two stroke tach and so the reason for the alternator "unrectified" hook-up ...It probably wont work with the 084 4 stroke engine magneto signal...Outboards are 2 stroke and high revs{for the most part} that's the reason for the 7 grand RPM readout on the face{at least in the faria brand tachs}... Here's the front and back of a 4 stroke tach...Note the 6k face and the notation on back for the "4 cycle only"...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Corky; 07-21-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

i wonder if this style would work with an old cuyuna 2 stroke?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

OK I kinda had that gut feeling, but like I said I got it for a steal. I'll just sell it on ebay and find the right one. Corky you wouldnt happen to know the model number on yours would you? Thanks for the help!

Not sure, it says universal on it so it might. If you're interested PM me and I'll cut you a deal on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    i wonder if this style would work with an old cuyuna 2 stroke?

OK I'm going to link the Faria site to show you what I'm talking about...There's some basic choices as you'll see each design of aftermarket tach has a selection for the type of engine the boat runs...
    Here's the three :A} diesel,B}outboard and C}inboard{all components are in an engine bay only the shaft/prop comes through the hull}and I/O{engine is in an engine bay and outdrive is on the outside of the hull probably the most common today}..
    Diesel is only a 4 grand tach and I'm not sure if the "mag signal" is compatable with the 084..Speaking of diesel you'll notice some diesel tachs have a mechanical input I'd like to try one with the 084s tach drive to see if it reads correctly sometime...
    Outboard is 2 cycle and a 7 grand tach
    The inboard I/O with the 6 grand tach is for 4cycle like the 084 that's the input you need to find...If you look closely at Aerigh's pic of the tach backside you'll see the "4cycle only" on his also...

Each style of Faria tach will have an input for each type of engine just find the style you like and make sure you get the part number indicated for the correct inputs... The faria site has a wealth of info including how to hook up each gauge correctly look it over carefully it's all there... Here's the link to the tach part number page.. https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/prod_...edGauge=2_tach

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I've had the Faria white analog with digital hour meter on my boat for years and it still works fine.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks Corky

Hi Guys - hope everybody is doing well. Things have been busy around here and I haven't had time to work on the motor in about 3 months due to a promotion and Hurricane Harvey dropping on us. I honestly don't know when I'll be able to work on the motor in the near future and could use some money to help offset the costs we incurred with the Hurricane. For that reason I listing this motor for sale i the classifieds section. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to do this again soon. I'll definitely keep trolling the forum and learning from you all! Thank you!