Thread: Motorcycle Engines?

Motorcycle Engines?

Hi Guys -

So I'm new to airboats and have been posting like an idiot learning about reduction drive/engine combos (thank you to everyone for their help, this is an awesome site). My goal is to build a ~14'-16' boat capable of pushing two people a few decoys at 20-25mph. I don't need to run over ground or jump levees or anything crazy. I've been looking at the 4A084 motors and they're pretty hard to find now and certainly not cheap. That being said I've been able to find a ton of motorcycle engines for next to nothing. I've got a little experience working on outboards and old cars but have never touched a motorcycle engine. Has anyone used one on a mini? If so, how hard was the conversion? I'm thinking 800-1000CC would be best. Any input would be great. Y'all have forgotten more about these things than I'll ever know. Thanks.

Re: Motorcycle Engines?

Motorcycle engines have been used on airboats with success. They are a bit more complicated to set up though. A reduction drive would be needed.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Motorcycle Engines?

Yeah a pretty heft one at that... some of the bike motors rev to 10,000 rpm. I'm not a pro with this yet but I'd bet that'd splinter a prop pretty darn fast.