Thread: To Bung or not to bung ?

To Bung or not to bung ?

Ok here the thing.
    You know I'm making a catrermeran type airboat. That means I have two separate hulls Ok.
    That's twice the potential for a problem for a bung problem. WHAT IF ?
    What if I did not put a drain in ?
    Here is the plan ,
    I'm thinking about putting a single diaphragm pump on the motor platform and running suction tubes to the lowest point on the cats with a screen filter , for a bulge pump.
    Why can't I just use a Water float switch that will turn on the pump ,and some kind of Ball plug to stop sucking air ,if there is water in the hulls and use it to drain the hulls as needed and not have a bung plug?
    I'm going to use it in some ruff terrain and I would not want to damage the bung drain.

Re: To Bung or not to bung ?

I added my 2 drainplugs so I can wash out the dirt and debris...I've never damaged my tube in the 30 years I've been running over rocks in my old mini ...But I have ripped the transom bottom seam a few times...Your pump won't last long if you run mud through it trying to clean out the bottom...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Another question...You do have 3/4-1 inch of the bottom sheeting lip{protruding past the transom} required to get the hulls to break free easier don't you ??? The lip acts as a shield for my 2 drain pipes but in return they reinforce the lip in the process...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

You do have 3/4-1 inch of the bottom sheeting lip{protruding past the transom}
    Nope, did not know that

I did find out the state requires one
    Last edited by Coyotes-R-Us; 11-11-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Not only does it help shear the water off the hull {Papee states the water will actually climb the back of the transom without it ,makes sense to me} but keeps the transom/bottom seam from taking the hit every time you pass over an object...I did notice there was none there when I made up the X bracing detail in the other thread...Anyhow at this point you can either
    A}Get an aluminum T channel and weld it in{that's what I did when my old mini got paper thin back there}
    B} Use a flat strip and weld it on there
    Either way make sure you make a nice weld on the leading bottom edge and grind it off so the passing water won't get deflected...Probably make for a good reinforcement back there in the process...
    Last edited by Corky; 11-11-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine