Thread: New member in Tennessee

Forum Reader

New member in Tennessee

Hello from Tennessee. I`m a retired Tool Maker. My retirement project was a airdrive for my john boat. I used a Robin Subaru EH-99 40 hp engine, Century 2:1 reduction drive, Whirlwind Razor 68 inch adjustable prop, mounted to a 14x48 Tracker Grizzily hull. I fabricated the rest from square steel tubing. I have adjusted the prop. so `m turning 3600 rpm. The boat is heavy, I`m heavy, and she won`t plane. Is the next step to remove the governor? If so how do I go about that. Do I need to remove the governor gears inside the engine? Ican`t find any thing about it on the intenet. I see where companies use this same setup and plane 2 people at 28 mph. Help.

Re: New member in Tennessee

Welcome, tons of info here.
    I cant help you' I also have my hand out for info
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Herman and welcome to the site !!! Do you have any pics of your set-up so we can see what you've got to work with ??? Do you know how much your rig weighs ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Forum Reader

I have pictures but don`t know how to post them. I`m not too good with a computer. I`ll have my son help me next time he visits. I havn`t weighed it yet.

That motor is the same as the generac i think. You might be able to find the removal process on here for the generac. It's usually pretty simple just remove the linkage from the carb to the governor and hook your throttle cable straight to the carb use a spring to hold the governor arm from bouncing around. If the gov is working the motor is only turning 3600 and prop 1800rpm the more you can get out of it the better you are. And square tubing is really heavy and overkill compared to angle and conduit that most of us use. Keep it light I hope this helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaulerG1 View Post
    That motor is the same as the generac i think. You might be able to find the removal process on here for the generac. It's usually pretty simple just remove the linkage from the carb to the governor and hook your throttle cable straight to the carb use a spring to hold the governor arm from bouncing around. If the gov is working the motor is only turning 3600 and prop 1800rpm the more you can get out of it the better you are. And square tubing is really heavy and overkill compared to angle and conduit that most of us use. Keep it light I hope this helps a little
    This is pretty much spot on. To get you prop turning the rpm needed to work the best your engine is going to need to turn 6000 rpm. This is in the 2 cycle range. From the description you also may be heavy for the displacement of the boat. To have any chance of it planing you'll probably have to get it as light as possible by redoing it with lighter materials and spread some weight around where possible. Getting the prop to turn in the 2800-3000 rpm would be the first thing.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Forum Reader

Papee; This is not what I wanted to hear but I think you`re right. I think I can get a set of 1.58:1 pulleys for the redrive, increase the engine speed, get some extra stuff out of the boat, and loose some weight myself. The last part will be the hardest. Thanks for your help. I enjoy this site, it`s good to see there are still guys out there not afraid to get dirty and make something with their hands. I`ll get some pictures up when my son comes over. Thanks to all who helped.

Hrman

Thanks for the props, it is the guys here that make the site what it is. It grows slow because of the narrow topic of the mini and being pretty much a do it yourself site but well worth the time and effort to keep it up. It slows down this time of year because of the membership being spread into areas that get hard water. There is usually always someone around to answer a question.

Let us know how that century drive works out.

edit: it's very easy to post photos
    go to advanced view
    choose manage attachments
    youll see a browse button list
    click and choose the photo
    repeat for more photos
    click upload
    then submit your post as normal
    Last edited by Papee; 10-19-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA