Thread: 084 in a saltwater environment ?

084 in a saltwater environment ?

How are these motors in a saltwater environment ?

I live in a location where I can go both in salt/fresh and I was just wondering unless someone knows something I do not.

I don't know enough about them to make a decision but as with anything a rinse off would be in order I would think for longevity.

Thanks,

Re: 084 in a saltwater environment ?

The original green paint on my new 084 was'nt on there too good...I could flake it off by using compressed air with a rubber tipped blow gun...I'd take off all the original paint and reshoot the whole engine with some quality engine enamel...Don't be tempted to leave the jug cooling fins unpainted, once the corrosion takes hold the cooling ability will fall quickly you're better off with an engine enamel from the start to keep the surfaces in check....Make sure you give every surface some type of paint/coating even the carb and fuel system...You'll only get one chance to get it done before the salt air will take over...The 084 itself should be fine it won't care about the saltwater...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Ok thank you, great info !

Take a look at some of the 084s that have been out in the weather in an airboat environment and you'll see how fast they degrade...The engines were never intended to directly be in the elements they always had some type of covers/shields for any military application... Even the plug wires had a rubber coating on some uses...Years ago I remember some aircraft style engines{in an airboat application} had permanent,somewhat aerodynamic engine covers standing above the engine jugs and block...Basically shielding them from the rain and sun...Today with the price of some builds I'm assuming they have a place in the shop with the classic cars !! And you don't see much weatherproofing like you did when they were out in the elements year round...Back then more go than show...

I'm going to fabb up some marine grade vinyl covers for the engine and prop...And probably a secondary cover for the entire cage for extended stays outside...But that does'nt apply for a saltwater environment it still does it's damage even with the best weather cover..

There's spraybomb engine paint out there with ceramic materials added those seem to hold up the best in the long run but are finicky about application and will tend to peel/sheet off if the surface was'nt preped properly..So there's always a trade-off between a straight enamel type paint that fades/discolors over time or the ceramic paint that holds up better but will easily chip if hit with tools from the hardness of the paint...

Alot of automotive guys are using a self etching primer under a urethane based {as in catalized using a spray gun} high temp paint but that's not going to hold up for our application where the heat temps are close to 500*...At that running temp the paint would end up looking like burnt toast...So don't be tempted to go that route...I've seen show queens that look great but the heat riser area of the intake manifolds are discolored and the paint is giving it up from heat...

In the long run there's only two choices...Take the easy way out and letting the engine go downhill or the harder way of maintaining the finishes keeping the corrosion in check...It's a vicious cycle for sure...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Thank you very much.
    Things have changed for me to a saltwater environment so I might be selling the NOS 084, prop, cage as a starter package deal.