Thread: has anyone used a warp drive direct

has anyone used a warp drive direct

I'm about to try a 3bld warp drive prop with HP hub direct drive on a generac 990 v-twin. its about the same power as the 084. I have used the 3 and 4bld ultra prop with good luck and most recent a 54" wood prop from Culver that split under pressure going into a hard wind in deep water. I'm just wondering if it's so heavy it will be sluggish or vibrate real bad.

Re: has anyone used a warp drive direct

I just cut down some old used warp drive blades today. I'm going to start at 53" and 10° and see if it will spin it. I'm hoping to get it bolted on and tested this week. I'll post how it goes. I notice not many people post anymore but I'm sure there are many people, like myself, that show up to read all the post there is so much info here now that all the basics plus some have been covered.

I set it to 5deg at the tip and it's turning 3200rpm and shakes bad around 1000rpm top speed in the wind 18mph and 25 with the wind I'm going to add more pitch soon and rotate the prop to see if it helps with the vibration. so far I think the ultra prop pushed better but won't know till I try it with more pitch

You may want to re orientate the mounting. Change the position of the prop where it hits a cyl stroke. That may get rid of or reduce the vibration if the prop is balanced correctly of course.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I was finally able to work on it again. I added 2 more degrees to the prop I'm now turning It 2840 rpm at 7° and changed the position on the crank. It seemed to help with the vibration a little but I didn't get to test ride it yet

Warp drive for sale! Tested it yesterday still vibrates really bad I did get more top end by adding pitch I went up to 27mph and it jumped up on top good but the vibrating will destroy my boat and motor. I guess it's back to the ultra prop I'm going to need new blades for it mine are looking really faded from the sun I don't want to chance them breaking. Does any one have three good blades they want to sell or the whole prop.

How close did you get the balance for each blade ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaulerG1 View Post
    Warp drive for sale! Tested it yesterday still vibrates really bad I did get more top end by adding pitch I went up to 27mph and it jumped up on top good but the vibrating will destroy my boat and motor. I guess it's back to the ultra prop I'm going to need new blades for it mine are looking really faded from the sun I don't want to chance them breaking. Does any one have three good blades they want to sell or the whole prop.
    How long are the blades? Did you try weighing them? I may be interested in experimenting with them some if they are not cut too short and the price is right.
    Are you selling the complete prop with hub or just blades? Price?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I didn't weigh them after cutting them down I probably should cause they are wore out the finish is missing from one. Is there a technique to weighing the blades do I weigh the whole blade or just the ends.

It's 53" with these blades but I have three nice blades that make 64" I didn't want to cut my good blades to experiment with so I bought some old used blades to cut down. The 64"blades and hub are for my cont 0-200 I would want to sell the whole thing if I do but I might try to balance it before giving up completely. I didn't like the prop on my 0-200 either but it would run 45 into the wind (not a good feeling on a 5' boat) and would run ground when it wanted to

You could probably weigh them on a bathroom scale but something more accurate would be better. Something that reads lbs and oz. if you know someone with a postal scale that would be my pick. You would weigh each blade. I think I would try to add weight to balance rather than take more off the blades if they are close. Use something like the glue you mix, my old brain is having a fart right now and can't think of the name.

edit: thought of it as soon as I hit post. Epoxy.
    Last edited by Papee; 10-15-2016 at 12:45 AM.

I'll try that I did the same thing with my ultra prop I don't know why I thought this was more complicated, partly because I watched the video on how to balance an ivo by weighing the tips and I couldn't get an accurate weight at the tip. If this don't work then it really will be for sale with the 64" blades it has the rotax bolt pattern and continental bolt pattern I know it will bolt up to the Dixon redrive and should work good for anyone with 35-45hp with reduction. I'll have to think about a price I know I won't get what I paid for it but I'm not selling it for nothing either

I think I found my problem there was almost 12g difference between two blades used some flat black spray paint to temporarily even them up got them within 1/10g now Hopefully it will be smoother now

This prop is great after balancing it and buying a digital protractor to set the pitch correctly the vibration is gone and it has lots of power. I just fixed up our old "camp" out on the lake and had to haul a very heavy load it surprisingly jumped up on plane in deep water. I was hauling a passenger and a couple hundred pounds of wood, full cooler, weedeater, shovel n rake, 3 gal of weed killer, full tank of gas, nails hammer screws n screw gun cordless saw and more I can't complain about that
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I was thinking I should post my final thought on this prop for anyone reading this wondering how it worked out even though I covered that in another thread. I wouldn't suggest anyone using it direct drive I'm pretty sure the 15lbs of prop waned to keep spinning when I let off the gas causing the crankshaft to snap.