Thread: New member been browsing the site for a few days

New member been browsing the site for a few days

Hello. After browsing the internet to last couple months for info about small airboats this site seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. I live very close to the Upper Potomac river in fact a tributary runs right through my back yard. Since I retired a few years ago the fishing bug is starting to get to me again. So I hired a fishing guide on the Potomac for small mouths last month. He had a 16 foot jet boat which worked out pretty well except it got plugged up a couple of times in the shallow grassy sections. Between the rocks, weeds, grass and sand/gravel bars I started thinking airboat. My first thought was to strap on a motor on an old jon boat hull, but after perusing this site for the last 3 days or so I'm kinda thinking of either the Lake-Buggy 2 seater or an aluminum hull creation that can hold me (240lb) and 1 other normal man plus fishing stuff. I don't want a hot rod. I've been through that faze many years ago (82mph on the St. Johns in FL). I just want something that planes easily and is easy for two people with gear to fish out of and do some exploring on the river.

I think the conditions here on the Potomac are probably quite similar to what the Susquehanna river guys encounter. But I've never seen an airboat around here on the Potomac. I checked with Maryland DNR and they said they were legal. Let me know if anyone does have one around here. I think I'm only a couple of hours away from the Susquehanna. Love to drive up and see one action.

Thanks.
    Tom Miller

Re: New member been browsing the site for a few days

I
    '
    m

v
    e
    y

n
    e
    w

t
    o
    o
    Attached Images Attached Images   

sorry

Huh? Sorry for what?

What am I missing here?

Hi Tom, welcome to the site...Even along the Susquehanna airboats are only run in a relatively small section compared to the many miles it travels...So it does'nt suprise me that you don't see many {or any for that matter}in your area.....Most relate airboating to shallow water so I'm not sure if it's just a case of not thinking about them,never been in one, or simply the jet,jon, bass boats and canoes are easier to buy and maintain...That's what I'm thinking is the case here there just is'nt enough exposure of them running through different areas to make the local anglers think " I could use one of those to get around"...
    They sure do look alot when you travel into waters you know they don' t have a chance to go...

I just made a trek up route 11/15 along the Susquehanna yesterday and there was 3 airboats out and fishing in the Millersburg,Pa area of the river...So they're being run as usual up there on a daily basis...Travel up or downstream from there and it's hit or miss on seeing them in action...The Susquehanna is relatively low right now and there's actually not much traffic at all out there except for a few kayaks and canoes in my area here...

In any case an airboat makes an excellent choice for running shallow waters and even getting from one area to another...I like a mini simply because I still have the ability to get in those fishing spots you can't go with a V8 driven airboat...I've had my share of hang-ups out there and I like to be able to jump out,grab the rope and pull the boat out of trouble...I would'nt be doing that with a heavy boat for sure...
    Last edited by Corky; 08-30-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Thanks Corky. Looking forward to more discussion about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Hi Tom, welcome to the site...Even along the Susquehanna airboats are only run in a relatively small section compared to the many miles it travels...So it does'nt suprise me that you don't see many {or any for that matter}in your area.....Most relate airboating to shallow water so I'm not sure if it's just a case of not thinking about them,never been in one, or simply the jet,jon, bass boats and canoes are easier to buy and maintain...That's what I'm thinking is the case here there just is'nt enough exposure of them running through different areas to make the local anglers think " I could use one of those to get around"...
    They sure do look alot when you travel into waters you know they don' t have a chance to go...

I just made a trek up route 11/15 along the Susquehanna yesterday and there was 3 airboats out and fishing in the Millersburg,Pa area of the river...So they're being run as usual up there on a daily basis...Travel up or downstream from there and it's hit or miss on seeing them in action...The Susquehanna is relatively low right now and there's actually not much traffic at all out there except for a few kayaks and canoes in my area here...

In any case an airboat makes an excellent choice for running shallow waters and even getting from one area to another...I like a mini simply because I still have the ability to get in those fishing spots you can't go with a V8 driven airboat...I've had my share of hang-ups out there and I like to be able to jump out,grab the rope and pull the boat out of trouble...I would'nt be doing that with a heavy boat for sure...
    Corky, is that 14 ft by 76 inch you have listed here done? What's the chance of me taking a look at it?

Tom, it's not done yet{you can see the progress in the "builds" forum} I have a long weekend so more will get accomplished...But you're welcome to take a look at it if you want...I have a smaller 14 hp mini that I fish with...The river is extremely low at this time so the old mini is out of the water for some attention...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Welcome to the forums. Ditto what Corky said, if I go south 25 miles to the Harrisburg boat ramp I always get a "that's what you need to get around" comment. I don't think I've ever put in down there that it didn't happen. One thing to keep in mind if you are building. High sides, the lake buggies are low sided and meant for lakes and ponds. If you have any currents or Rapids I suggest higher gunnels. Four and two cycle are like coke and Pepsi, user preference. I am running the same motor for the ninth year with little problems so the longevity of the 4A084 is proven. Have fun whatever way you choose to go.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Ditto what Corky said, if I go south 25 miles to the Harrisburg boat ramp I always get a "that's what you need to get around" comment. I don't think I've ever put in down there that it didn't happen. One thing to keep in mind if you are building. High sides, the lake buggies are low sided and meant for lakes and ponds. If you have any currents or Rapids I suggest higher gunnels. Four and two cycle are like coke and Pepsi, user preference. I am running the same motor for the ninth year with little problems so the longevity of the 4A084 is proven. Have fun whatever way you choose to go.
    Thanks Papee. I'm glad you mentioned the High sides. That was my main concern when I looked at the Lake Buggy. The Upper Potomac does have class III rapids. Now that I've been on this forum for awhile I saw that you had some health issues. I can relate to that. I hope you are feeling better.

Well one nice thing is the temps are finally out of the 90s and 100s so you might actually enjoy a tour of the area this time of year...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Yes if you come this way stop by, I won't be tearing my boat apart to put the turbo on until it gets too cold to fish. The way it's going that may be December. I've been waiting for the water to cool and the heat to stop. I'm in the middle of some remodeling but the boss is leaving for GA for a week so I'm sure I can sneak some river time in.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA