Thread: 10x5 mini motor

Forum Reader

Question 10x5 mini motor

Made a purchase last weekend should have done a little more research. I am having difficulty figuring out what motor to use and if i can add another seat for the Mrs. the hull measures 10' x 5', 17'' deep. prop is 45'' long 5'' wide. we don't have many airboats in southern Indiana.
    Thank you for your time.
    (The 3 buckets are for size comparison)
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by 4corners; 08-29-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Re: 10x5 mini motor

Type 1 VW motor....

No sense putting a bigger motor on it because you are limited in prop size with your cage. If the cage will accept a 45" prop you're talking around 25 hp depending on the pitch of the prop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Forum Reader

Thank you

Nice score !! And welcome to the site... Look over the info and builds on this site there's alot to take in...The whole key is to keep it light...You've got a great foundation to start with.... A few mods for the new powerplant you'll have a fun boat...Figuring out how to add the extra seat is one of the fun aspects of the project...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

That's almost the same size as my hull I ran an 084 with many different size props starting with a 44"fresh breeze ppg prop turning 3000 rpm it only worked good in shallow water but fast when it finally got on plane I wouldn't bother with less than 30 hp. Maybe build as bigger cage if you want two ppl in the boat. The generac is a good choice because it is light, powerful, and easy to find. The generac 15kw home generator that don't produce power are usually easy to find online