Thread: Confused, rich or lean

Confused, rich or lean

I've been out a few times lately and the weather has been very warm. The engine seems to be getting hotter than normal. I'm just not sure, It didn't do this before and I have no changes other than adding another fuel filter. The boat runs better with the air cleaner off which would point to a rich condition. The engine getting hot points to a lean condition. I don't have CHTs I just run oil temp, I didn't let it get above 200. I'm not sure whats going on, the engine doesn't smell hot of make the clinking noise like I've heard before. I do see some burning oil smoke but I have a valve cover or Oring leak on the push rod tube at the head. DO you guys running the CHTs have oil temp also? If so what is your oil temp.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: Confused, rich or lean

Papee,
    I don't have any experience with your engine, but at the temperatures we have been seeing, I would use the highest octane fuel for a start.
    kent

Yes it may be just this weather. I can only run about 3-4 miles before I have to slow to cool the motor. Usually if I just come down to idle for a few minutes it will cool back down so I can run again. I'm still catching fish but it's just too hot and humid to be out there right now with the medicines I'm on.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

It's way to hot and humid to think it's anything else but that...No quality air going into the carb mix..Combine that with ethanol that wants to evaporate before it gets to where it needs to go...With this mid to upper 90s heat the jugs just can't cool down even with a breeze the 70-80% humidity is'nt going to help much..

I can't hardly touch anything metal on the job it's all smoking hot...I'm ready for a break in the weather...

If it would'nt be for a rust factor you could rig up a water mist system to cool the jug fins if you absolutely needed to run in these conditions...
    Last edited by Corky; 08-17-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop