Thread: Starter wiring questions

Question Starter wiring questions

I wanted to ask this general question about starter wiring to see the best route to take for our builds..

The biggest issue I have been thinking about is...Option 1...Is everyone running the positive cable directly from the battery to the starter ??? This means the heavy gauge cable is always charged when the master switch is on..
    Or option 2..Using a starter solenoid so the only time the heavy starter cable is charged is when the key is in the "start" position for cranking ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Starter wiring questions

Corky,
    The starter that comes with the Circle-S has an integral solenoid as I'm sure you know so while the positive cable always has a 12V potential up to the starter, I personally didn't see the need for an additional master solenoid since I felt that it would only be another potential future problem source (and extra weight) so I didn't use one.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Hi Ted..Yes, I did'nt run the part number to see the original application but that starter has alot of standard parts for the new style{nippondenso}starters used in most vehicles these days..The mounting flange/bolt pattern is what makes it specific...In an automotive application the starter's own solenoid simply activates the unit itself...But there's also a secondary solenoid that cuts the power to the engine's starter feed so it's not charged while in motion...

But you've made a few good points...Weight and potential problems down the line...Considering how energy effecient and the torque these new starters have compared to the size of the 084 I don't really see how the starter would be drawing the amps that say an old style small block chevy starter would...

In theory the added solenoid is definitely a good choice but in this case I would have to agree with you on keeping it simple,light and just have a master cut-off switch within reach if something goes horribly wrong...I'll certainly have some shielding on the cable for my piece of mind...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Yeah, I covered mine with split plastic conduit just in case. I'm thinking that I'll probably install a battery selector switch some day so I can throw another battery in the boat when I'm using my LED light bar for bowfishing. I've found that my stator only puts out a few amps (even though I had it modified for 12V) so I'll need another battery onboard so I don't run down my primary batt.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

I agree, no need for extra parts. And what makes those darn battery switches so expensive, I'll eventually put one on too but the price of them is just unreal for what they are. I use to have a buddy that did wiring on firetrucks and would get them free if the had a chip out of them from shipping or something like that. He died unfortunately a few years ago. I just can't bring myself to pay the price. I was thinking about just using two solenoids.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA