Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 4A084 turbo build

Re: The Tanks 4A084 gets a turbo

Well if I don't feel silly. I've been putting this carburetor problem off checking this and that, pulling jets etc. I took off the carb today and pulled jets again as well as emulsion tube as well as others finding nothing. I pulled out the float valve, not a needle on these but a unit like a valve with the needle in that cannot be accessed. Soon as I pulled it out I saw the dirt blocking the hole. Now I can get on to the turbo build since the carb is good to go. I didn't suspect the float level because it always started back up after a stall.

I'm going to put in another filter closer to the carb, the filter I have on is closer to the fuel tank. Putting it at the carb will protect all the fuel lines.
    Last edited by Papee; 07-04-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Well, I would'nt feel too silly at least you've found your problem now you can move on...Was it dirt or an ethanol related deposit ??? Ethanol sure does create more problems than it solves...I'm ready for it to be taken out of our fuel and put back on the food list...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I didn't look at it close but it wasn't really "dirt". There were three to four pieces in there, it looked like corroded metal sort of.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Just updating. I've been doing more research just making sure I am going with the right setup(blow through or draw through) and it seems I have. The draw through is just not as good for full rpm range performance. I've been collecting more parts and materials but mainly just more research. I have decided on waiting until I'm done fishing for the season before moving forward with this project. I think it's more important to build the turbo on the boat with the cage on and everything in place to be sure everything works out as far as clearence.

Im debating pulling the trigger on buying a plasma cutter right now if the boss will hear it. I don't want to buy a cheap one at this point. From what I've read the better ones use less consumables. So I'm thinking about the the hypertherm.

Probably a good call with mocking up the components with what you're using in place...Now if we can get the temps below 90* around here it would make it almost bearable to work outside....Regarding the hypertherm units...Looks like there's alot of accessories for those units...My biggest downfall using a plasma cutter is keeping a steady hand...And even with a guide in place I still seem to have alot of clean-up work...But it sure beats the alternatives...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I would have liked to build it on a stand and do some testing but these things get hot fast stripped down with no prop to cool them. I ran mine a minute or two this spring before I put my prop on and the headers got hot quick with no cooling. I'd like to tear into it but it just seems to be more efficient to build on the existing because of clearance issues.

I still have a pretty steady hand as long as I can see. I'm just not sure if I can justify the cost vs use at this point of my building/fab career.
    Last edited by Papee; 08-03-2016 at 10:08 AM.