Thread: 084 Convert to Electronic Ignition??

084 Convert to Electronic Ignition??

Has anyone tried this with the 084?

I searched but,,,,

Thanks,

Re: 084 Convert to Electronic Ignition??

I've only seen the aircraft guys do it because it is expensive compared to the gain in performance. It does work well but the cost is the issue.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

A quick look at the "Aircraft Spruce & Specialties Co." web site shows a kit by EFII for Lycoming.....
    Single ignition 4 cyl $1295.00
    Dual ignition 4 cyl $1945.00
    Much redesign work will be required for the sensor/flywheel mounting....
    You would be spending more money for the conversion than the value of the 84 engine....
    kent

Thanks. I would like to look into it. Guess I'll find a aircraft forum and look.

Thanks Kent.

I looked into the conversion briefly but decided it wasn't worth the cost. Magneto ignition is tough to beat and if it's setup right, will give years of trouble free running. That's why aircraft engines (i.e. Lycoming and Continental) are still running on mags. It's '50s technology but it's still the most reliable IMO.

Now EFi on the other hand would probably be a better place to put your money, but you'd need a lot of it.
    I've read that those who've gone the fuel injected route were really happy with the outcome and it virtually eliminates all the drawbacks of carbureted engines but once you go down that path you become a research engineer until you get it programmed correctly. JMO
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks again. Interesting.

4a084 experimenters group on yahoo is the best place to look for this info. Most of it happened there years ago. It's not near as active as it use to be but the info is still there if you look for it.

sorry for the confusion, I miss read the title. I thought you were referring to efi. The info above is still good though with both electronic ignition and injection both. They both were both covered well there.
    Last edited by Papee; 06-08-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Something else to consider...Most electronic ignitions and their components are not designed to be run in a high moisture environment on a daily basis...Converting for an airboat with an exposed engine would take some serious engineering for all situations where everything WILL get wet...As stated it's tough to beat the magneto ignition system for durability and ease of use...Don't forget where this engine came from....If the military thought the mag system and components were'nt up to the task under wartime and extreme conditions it would'nt be on the 084... When setting up the command tent and perimeter we simply dug a big hole and parked the generator in it...Other than tending to the fuel the 084 ran pretty much troublefree for lone periods of time... Nobody had time to fool with a piece of equipment that was troublesome...

IMO, I would'nt dwell on changing out something that has withstood the test of time for the better part of a 30 year stretch of service on these engines...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I would'nt dwell on changing out something that has withstood the test of time...
    Sound words !

I couldn't agree more with what has been said, I have looked into this a little. I have read about all that a person by the name of Les Smoot, has done with the 4A084. some on this forum have said that they have visited with him, and have gained some great insight from his knowledge.
    about the most user friendly web page that I have found is the same one that Les Smoot used on his 4A084
    http://www.sdsefi.com/vw.htm,
    I have traded some emails with them, and have learned a few things. I am more interested in the fuel injection part,
    with the kit they sell the base mapping. but you will have to do the final tuning. for some of the motors this company has the specific mapping, but not for the 4A084
    here are the 2 systems that they offer that will work with the 4084

Em-5F if you want ignition and fuel.
    Em-5D if you want only fuel, and you run magnetos, cheaper.

but like others have stated, it is pretty steep cost upfront.
    have fun dreaming.

Last edited by Bart; 06-08-2016 at 11:09 PM.

Thank you.