Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rollbar's (Slow) Mini Build.

Rollbar's (Slow) Mini Build.

Well I'm gathering parts and the NOS 4a084 is being shipped next week.
    So far gathered up a cage and seating platforms for Peach and I. Also picked up a 20' dual axle aluminum trailer which I have to modify for the boat which will be 12'x approx 60 or 72".

So here we go on the slow build.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Re: Rollbar's (Slow) Mini Build.

Any progress is good progress...Looks like the rigging came off a deck-over... How wide is the trailer ?? I'd take off one of the axles for easier maneuvering you wont need it...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Any progress is good progress...Looks like the rigging came off a deck-over... How wide is the trailer ?? I'd take off one of the axles for easier maneuvering you wont need it...

The rigging is off a open boat but I will probably have to modify it or ?
    The trailer is 5' wide, inside fender to inside fender.
    I plan on cutting it down and lowering the fenders or using the squared off ones.
    I might have to make a "L" bracket and add a 2x6 to each side of the main rail channel of the trailer for width.
    One thing I like is it is very light and I can move it around the way it sits and being cut shorter, it will be nice.
    Less weight for me to pull w/my Jeep CJ8/and CJ7.

What is the prop cage at it's widest measurement? You'll have to do a lot of mods to it but it's a start.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    What is the prop cage at it's widest measurement? You'll have to do a lot of mods to it but it's a start.
    Prop cage is 65" across and 66" vertical .

Not sure what size prop to run on the 084 if I go DD on a 12'x6' wide aluminum boat.

Looking into reduction gears but $700.00 is a lot right now from Arrow Prop.

I can always cut the prop cage, sleeve it, and bring it down like other builds I see, but if I can get away using what I have, then it's just better for me/less work.

P.S. The prop cage bolts to the stand and I can remove that and modify both if need be.

Yes, cutting the bottom off that cage would save you a lot of weight. It's going to have to come off any way. You won't have enough room front to back. You are puting in a longer 4 cyl engine where a 2 cyl was. The engine stand will also be in a different place. Adding a reduction drive will also lengthen the space needed front to back.

Edit: Also as to the dual carb idea. I was working on that idea using two carbs that were made for half of this motor. They were designed to use on the Army mules which have a two cyl engine on them. That engine is exactly half of a 084. The carbs have an eccelerator pump also.I forget the name of the carbs but I started a thread on here about it somewhere. It can be done and would work great but it's a lot of work to design an intake that will work.

This is why I went back to my original idea I had back when I first got the motor and relocating the carb throat to the verticle position.
    Last edited by Papee; 05-10-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Yes, cutting the bottom off that cage would save you a lot of weight. It's going to have to come off any way. You won't have enough room front to back. You are puting in a longer 4 cyl engine where a 2 cyl was. The engine stand will also be in a different place. Adding a reduction drive will also lengthen the space needed front to back.

Yes I was thinking the cage would have to be cut and the stand adjusted for the motor but then 90% of that work is done, or should I say 75%
    I'll have to find some dimensions on a few gear drives and then when possible, when I add one, I can slide the motor forward on the stand/plate I intend to make w/slots in it to account for the prop position.

Ok received the motor today. I turned it some by hand and it is free. Now I have to figure out what I have to take off. I just wanted to post pictures of it complete/how one would receive it in case others were wondering upon purchase.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    Last edited by Rollbar; 05-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Have to look in the manual to find out what this bowl is for.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

That's the sediment bowl for gas, you won't be using it. You take off the governor and make a block off plate for it. That's about it other than taking all the shrouding off.

I'll bet you find it to me where you put in a fuel filter or a water separator

Received to prop today. Things are coming together.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

What pitch blocks came with the prop? The number is written on the edge of the block. How long are the blades.

What pitch blocks came with the prop? The number is written on the edge of the block. How long are the blades.

10* pitch blocks.
    3100 max rpm.
    27.5" blades, total 59" I presume.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

The blades came off this boat w/a 084, he is a member here (Doozit's).

Last edited by Rollbar; 05-27-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Score!
    Bought a twin jet ski trailer (excellent shape with buddy bearings and new spare) and Ultralight Full Lotus Floats with spare bladders for $100.00
    Jet ski trailer is 13'. 10' to the tongue and a 3' tongue.
    6'10" inside fender to fender.
    Now I have to decide to keep it with minimal work needed or keep the 20' trailer and a lot of work needed. I was going to make the 20' a dual trailer for also towing a Jeep if needed.
    Those Lotus floats are pretty nice so I'll have to research those because they will be for sale.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
    Last edited by Rollbar; 06-16-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Got lots of parts that's good. Now we just have to find you a nice hull.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

I know right. I have a original 1965 CJ5 Navy Jeep w/38K original miles going to sell for $2,500.00. Give my daughter some money to help her out and then maybe find a hull sometime. Waiting for the right one. Someone told me they had a 10' and not sure what else it was but I have info coming, I think it is glass though and I really want aluminum for Fla/small motor etc.