Thread: Corvair Engine on a Mini/Strong Enough/Powerful Enough ?

Corvair Engine on a Mini/Strong Enough/Powerful Enough ?

I searched but didn't come across to much information regarding the Corvair motors on this site.

I ran into a friend of mine and he said he has a running good condition Corvair motor he pulled out of his car and thinking of selling it.

Not sure what they run as far as cost etc but wondering if this would be a good motor for a Max Mini (see What is a Mini Airboat Section of the forum) 12'/13'6"x7'6" mini.

I'm trying to research the engine now-HP/Torque etc. and see if I can get away with not using a reduction setup, but if I have to, then I'll need to look for that as well.
    What rotation would a Corvair motor spin the prop?
    I know ArrowProp has one for a VW/Subaru but not sure for a Corvair.
    Guess I can fab one up if he is willing to sell it at the right price etc.
    I still have my Rotax option open for now, but looking looking into other viable options/cheaper to fix and maybe run.

Thanks again,
    Jim
    Last edited by Rollbar; 04-21-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Re: Corvair Engine on a Mini/Strong Enough/Powerful Enough ?

You won't find much info on car motors on this site but they have been discussed. Car motor boats aren't considered "minis". At one time the Corvair motor was used heavily in this area. There are still a few boat in our club running them today. The main reason we don't see them too much these days is the availability of parts. All of them here are direct drive most likely because when they were built there were no reduction drives available.

There are some old boats still running in our club.
    Last edited by Papee; 04-21-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Oh, ok. I thought some used them or modified them. Since they are an air cooled engine (right) I thought so. Sorry, learning as I go.

I don't remember much about them but I do remember a buddy back in the mid 70s having one that was 110hp stock.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA