Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New mini: won't plane ?

Re: New mini: won't plane ?

The hull is about 70#, the motor is 78# the batteries and all weighs in at around 215 for the 18hp and 243 for the 22hp. It's all gauge aluminum. That's got to be lighter than the wood hull the lake buggy uses?

It's all aluminum.Gauge material. It weighs around 225 with motor battery and all. Hulls only weigh about 70# each. Two guys throw it in the back of my truck. It has to weigh less than the lake buggy wood hull? Doesn't it? It sets about 3" in The water with me on it. The 22 hp weighs in around 243 with fuel and all. Is that too heavy ,I can't get it any lighter.

Don't know anything about airboats, but had a quite a few regular powered boats. If that was a regular boat it would seem as if the "trim" was not set properly. Which leads me to ask what is the normal angle of thrust on an airboat? In other words does the prop blast the air up, down or parallel with the hull? Is it adjustable?

TJM- I think you've hit it. I struggled with my set up for the first couple of months running, and found that my thrust angle was completely backwards. The direction of thrust should be biased toward the water at the rear of the boat. I had mine pointed up, thinking of my power boat, but after a few conversations with Pappee we figured out what each other was talking about and i realized i should add shim to the front of my rigging. After a couple of trial and errors I got a major improvement and am quite happy with how it rides now.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.peck76 View Post
    TJM- I think you've hit it. I struggled with my set up for the first couple of months running, and found that my thrust angle was completely backwards. The direction of thrust should be biased toward the water at the rear of the boat. I had mine pointed up, thinking of my power boat, but after a few conversations with Pappee we figured out what each other was talking about and i realized i should add shim to the front of my rigging. After a couple of trial and errors I got a major improvement and am quite happy with how it rides now.

I'm very glad to hear that. Make me feel good! Thanks.

Whatley if you are still having trouble with the 13hp I would try adding more pitch to get it down around 2800rpm I've noticed the ultra prop tends to top out there you don't gain much past that.

I've decided that I have a lift problem. The 22 hp will do 40 mph once you get it on top. The 18 hp will do about 25-30 on top of the water. The problem is that I need three to four inches to do it. We fab all this so I'm making a pontoon that is 8"x16" and 4' wide , if I'm doing my math right this should produce a considerable amount of lift. We'll see in a week or two . Right now the weather is too pretty to be boat building . Thanks for all the input.