Thread: 4A084 won't start

4A084 won't start

I'm having trouble with my 4A084 engine. It was running fine and then it just quit starting. It seems like it's getting to much fuel but I don't have very much experience with this type of engine

Re: 4A084 engine won't start

Hello Nelsontyler and welcome to the site!

Can you give us more information as to what you're running? Are you using the stock carburetor? I know that they have some problems with stuck floats that may cause flooding. Do you have good spark? Are you sure that your magneto isn't grounding out?
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

It is a stock carburetor. I pulled the caburetor and cleaned it. I changed the spark plugs and checked the spark and the spark is good. I don't know how to check if the magneto is grounding out. I am pretty new to this type of engine so I don't know exactly what to look for

If you've seen a good spark then the magneto is'nt grounding out...If it were you'd have no spark...Do you have the same symptoms after you've cleaned the carb???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Yes. It's seems to be trying to start. It seems like it's getting to much fuel to me but I'm new to this engine. The carb was saturated after I turned it over and the spark plugs were wet even though they are sparking

pull your fuel line and turn the engine over several times. leave it for the fuel to evaporate for a few hours. then come back and take the screw out of the top of the carb. squirt a half ounce of fuel into the carb from the top and see if it will start then. If it does, you are probably flooding it out with the fuel line connected.

you may also want to drain the bowl on the carb while you are waiting on the fuel to evaporate. This is how I got mine running the first time.

Float level or sticking is a big problem with the stock carb. I think you are heading in the right direction. Also, I moved this post to the proper forum, it was in videos.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Re: 4A084 won't start

Thanks for moving my post. I'm pretty new to this forum. I believe I'll change the carb and see if that will fix the problem