Thread: Painting galvanized rigging?!?

Painting galvanized rigging?!?

How are you guys prepping your rigging for paint and what kind of paint are you using? I used the cheap hot dipped emt and I figure getting anything to stick is going to be a nightmare. I was thinking about a scotch bright scuff, acetone wipe-down, acid etch, then acetone again right before paint..I have heard of people using vinegar but I have a brand new gallon of aluminum cleaning acid I may try.

Re: Painting galvanized rigging?!?

I'm hoping you hear from some previous builders on what they did and how it's holding up..I'm getting ready for the same ordeal with my build....
    I've done some repairs on my old mini welding in EMT sections and have just scotchbrited the tubing and sprayed it...I've never had any peel off and it's been years...It sits out in the elements year round...
    I'm not sure what the active ingredient in your aluminum cleaner is {I'm guessing phosphoric acid} but hopefully it will get the job done...I've read numerous articles on the galvanize prep and its basically starting with a degreaser followed up with some sanding then etching using an acid...White vinegar seems to be the cheaper way out on the acid etch...Strangely enough there's no step involving washing the vinegar off just dampen a rag and wipe it down...You won't be able to skip the washdown if you use the aluminum cleaner and IMO there needs to be a happy medium with the water to prevent flash rust on the welded areas...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I looked at lowes last night and there is't much for choices on non oil-based paints. I have been told to use latex paint but I don't know how if it will harden enough to be very durable.

Sounds like you're right on track with your prep. I used duck boat camo on my Jon boat EMT rigging and it lasted for years with no problems.

I chose stainless on my airboat rigging because I was contemplating getting it powder coated and the powder coat shop told me that it wouldn't work on galvanized tubing.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Good to know because I was considering checking into powder coating. Guess that is out unless I want to sand off all of the galvanizing. No thanks ha ha.