Thread: running dry??

Forum Reader

running dry??

How's it going? I'm wanting to build a mini airboat but I want to be able to run dry. The hull I plan on building is about 10ftx5ft with 2ft sides if I run a 40hp engine and descent prop and some gator slide on the bottom. Will it run dry or do I need to change my hull up to accomplish this?

Re: running dry??

I'll be honest here if you don't build it VERY light...I don't think 40HP is going to get it done...Take a look at the old threads/videos with the airboat pros 084 {40 HP + or -} running dry and you'll see it barely gets the job done without any obsticles to run over...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

The more weight you have per square inch on the hull the more thrust you need to move it. With a 10x5 hull you have very little area contacting the ground. Your front rake takes up about 4 feet of the boat which means you only have about 30 square feet of bottom spreading out the weight. For comparison, my boat has 50 SF of contact surface. This also has a lot to do with how your boat will run on the water and how easily it gets on plane.

AS Corky mentioned Airboat Pros did it with a small hull but added more thrust with a reduction drive.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I've got the same hull as Airboat Pros used in that dry run video and I've also got a redrive but mine won't run dry with people on board unless you have wet grass and even then it barely makes it. You need much more HP.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Speaking of running dry I just had a conversation today with Brian, the manufacturer of QuickSlick bottom coating... Oddly enough, he stated that it's easier to run dry on DRY grass than it is with wet grass using QuickSlick.. I guess he would know...There's a big event down there{Fla} this weekend and it sounds like the airboats are going to be overrunning the area...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Brian's willingness to help and answer questions was the main reason for me choosing his product. I was going to do a video of how easily the hull moved on the ground but forgot. with the hull bare I could give it a whip sideways and it would keep sliding after I let go.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Yes he was very helpful for me also... I gave him the dimensions of my build and he stated that I could cover my bottom to even the 10 ft+ mark{5ft wide} and it should still work as expected if I apply it with a harbor freight "hopper gun"...This contradicts the gallon's coverage of 20-25 square feet as stated on the container from what Ive heard...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I used a roller BTW.

OK papee thanks I just sent you a PM before I read this......

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine