Thread: Another project to play with

Threaded View

Re: Another project to play with

it has been a busy time, lately, more grandkids coming to visit and summer is here, almost 18 hours of daylight. I love summer in Alaska.
    I have been looking at a few things on this motor, after torqueing the hub, there really was not a lot of clearance between the bolts and the flywheel, so I went to a socket head machine bolt. but I forgot to think about repositioning the starter, I would crank it over and the tang on the solenoid would kick out of the lever that pushes the bendix out. but I was able to finally hear the motor run, it is real loud with out any muffler. the grandkids went running to their moms real quick. they didn't know what was in the shed, but they didn't want anything to do with something that loud. my wife is still laughing about the it.
    so while the motor was running, every once in while I would see a few sparks coming off from where the flywheel was touching the bendix. but the oil pressure was looking good. the gauge was reading 60 psi. then I happened to look over at the #2 cylinder and the exhaust was just a little red. so I shut it down. I was thinking about all the possibilities of why just one cylinder would act up. if it was the timing, being retarded, I would have all the cylinders running hot. so the next, thing would be air leaks, which like a dummy, after taking everything on and off of the motor so many times, why would I want to put silicon on the gaskets?
    if I might be taking it apart, again.
    so now all of the intake is sealed.
    Just need to finish up getting the starter situated a little better, might need to make a new bracket, depends on how elongated the bolt holes end up. also thinking about fabing up a muffler setup. so the neighbors don't get to excited.

played with one of the rudders last night for a little bit, put a small bend in the aluminum so it would hug the Styrofoam a little better,
    I decided to apply a thin coat of silicon on the inside skin of the aluminum so it would be a tight fit. ended up using a little over 2 tubes on 1 rudder. put some clamps on, to hold everything tight while it dries. and I will look at it tonight, and see how it looks, but things are starting to take shape, a little here and a little there,
    I am liking how lite these rudders are ending up.
    I wish I would have taken a full picture of the motor when I got it, It wasn't something that would look good on the kitchen table. (not saying that I have used the kitchen table to assemble things before). if I hadn't seen what every one was doing with their motors, I probably would never had thought about pimping it out, but it gave me something to do. this partial picture will have to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images