Thread: My old Johnson...

My old Johnson...

Before Christmas a guy Gave me his "old Johnson ". A Skee horse 20. That's a 16 hp 368 cc twin cylinder 20" wide track snowmobile around a 68. I'm in the proses of harvesting the clutch drive, torque converter and transmission and double chain drive to run my soon to be ordered prop on the water bug, airboat project.
    I have no idea how long the "Johnson" was setting in the old pump house but just for $its and giggles I thought what the hell and I pulled the starting rope. it rolled over nicely. HUMM?
    SOOO I pulled the plugs put some oil in each cylinders rolled it over some and replaced them Gave the carb a small spritz of starting spry.
    It fired and wanted to run...
    I mixed up a quart of gas 24 to 1 and put it in the tank.
    The "Primer" part of the fuel system is long gone but the lines all looked good. Another blast in the crab and one pull with the compression release on and the dam thing took right off. It has a "Neutral" spot on the transmission ,good thing it was used or I would have smashed in to my car port cover post.
    Nice!
    Now I have a drive for the "Bug"
    AND I have a working 2 cylinder 16 HP motor.

Anyone thinking "GO CART", snow scooter, or even a 16 horse power winch.

The ski springs are already called for to beef up the suspension on my boys snowmobile/ water bug trailer.

Re: My old Johnson...

Nice score !! Cheap is good.... Free is even better.... Time to do some thinking and come up with a good drive for the boat...Lets see some pics !!!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: My old Johnson...

I have LOTS of ideas, just don't know if they will work.
    Yes I will.