Thread: Airboat trailering and rudders

Airboat trailering and rudders

Hello everyone...I have a general question about trailering an airboat...When trailering an airboat on the highway do the rudders move around with the wind ?? Would it be beneficial to add a steering lock to hold the rudders in place for transport ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Re: Airboat trailering and rudders

They don't move much on the highway but they do move around when you corner or make a turn. I just keep a bungie cord on mine. When I unload it I just hook it in place so it's there when I put the boat back on the trailer.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hey Papee !!! I recalled someone talking about the rudders moving around with windgusts and side drafts while being trailered...I can see the potential for them to move around under different conditions...I've got a simple rudder locking mechanism in my head and I was going to fab it up if deemed a good idea...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

I've never locked my rudders in place. Yes they do move around when you turn but they stay straight when your driving down the highway..having said that I think that I have seen some people lock there rudders when trailering but I see more boats that just let them go then locking them in place.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

I don't think I'd lock them tight. I've backed the rudders into the garage door a bit, I'd rather they would be able to move a bit just in case.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I've trailered quite a few miles and echo exactly what Papee said. LOL i even use a bungee cord to hold them. I've thought about a lock quite a few times but there is always a second use for the bungee cord so.... I guess just not that high on the list.

Another general statement on trailering though. You may have seen the trailer I haul on. (an 18' car hauler) Again I had it already and it fills a need. BUT...the airboat rides terribly on it. Because the boat is quite a bit lighter than the suspension on the trailer, it tends to bounce a bit on the highways that are rough. Of coarse I slow down when hauling but if you've ever hauled an empty trailer you know what I mean. I guess the point I'm making is, ideally, you would want your axle (s) loaded at least 50% of capacity. My power boat is probably 90% capacity of it's trailer axle and it rides as smooth as silk. Something to think about when setting a new rig up....Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone!!

Corky,
    I do have a rudder lock on mine which is just a one foot length of all-thread running from my frame to one of the teleflex adjustment holes on my control stick. It is secured to the stick by screwing on a wing nut which has a small red "Remove Before Flight" streamer attached so as not to forget to unlock it before startup.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

For me rudders are not a problem , but I do tie my prop. A couple of times running down the highway at 65 and running into a strong headwind I would look back in the mirrors and the pop would be spinning. I tie my prop with a couple bunji cords now.
    Ron

Wow Ron !! I never really thought about the prop spinning at highway speeds...And probably spinning backwards at that !! Thanks for all the replies.....I've added a simple rudder lock to the boat now so that'll take care of the rudder issue for transport...And I'll definitely be watching back there to see what the prop is doing...I'll be addressing the trailer issues in another thread coming soon...
    Last edited by Corky; 12-24-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Don't worry Corky ... Your prop won't spin with the Circle-S redrive. I've never seen mine move an inch at highway speeds.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks Ted...I was'nt sure if the redrive would help or hurt that situation with the bigger prop in the equasion...

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

We have some serious wind here in TX ,50 mph hour head wind and 65 miles an hr vehicle speed gives you 115 mile an hour wind .
    My big boat was a 8 +18 with a 575 hp caddy on the back with a redrive and a 84 inch paddle prop . I have seen it windmill.
    Ron
    That prop was at least 12 inchs wide