Thread: Generator mounted prop

Generator mounted prop

I am torn as to witch end of my VW motor I need to put my prop.
    Direct dive or reduced.
    I finally got the little motor running nice, and it sounds strong, for 1600cc 50hp vw .
    I need a fuel pump , I am currently gravity feeding it on my stand, I'm going go with an electric pump.
    I had to put the starter on to "Back" of the motor and it sticks out about a foot.
    If I run off that end ,either direct or reduced it need to be past the end of the starter.
    The front ,belt end, I read that the bushing on the crank will not hold up to the strain of a prop.
    So I would have to reduce. How come a person just could not add a chain Drive on to crank up to the generator and put the Prop on the generator ???
    Would a motorcycle chain hold up? Would the generator an stand holdup ?

Last edited by Coyotes-R-Us; 12-08-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Re: Generator mounted prop

When the Fatcat had a VW motor the prop was mounted on the generator side of the engine. I have heard also that the motor may be better suited to having the prop mounted on the flywheel side, but mounting it on the generator side works just fine too. People been doin' it for decades. I don't think the generator would be nearly beefy enough to handle the stress of a prop.......JMO Bruce

Reduction is definitely the way to go, those motors don't do well direct drive. The side force of the prop is hard on the seals. Mine was on the flywheel side. I think it would be much better using that side because there are more choices for mounting with the case/ bell housing being there.

I am am working on a chain drive reduction drive myself but it keeps getting pushed back because of other projects. All I've got done was designing the case and how the depressions will be cut for bearings. I have talked to a machinist and he's ready to make the gears as soon as I give him the case and shafts.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

My buddy built an airjon with the VW engine years ago...He cut the bellhousing off the transaxle and modified it... The bellhousing bolted to the engine stand and the engine in turn bolted to the bellhousing...The original starter bolted in it's intended spot on the bellhousing...It was a direct drive off the back{generator side} of the engine using a hub extension/adapter and I don't ever remember a problem with the crank/prop being used in that configuration...

As far as the generator itself being used as the prop hub I agree with everyone's opinion...It's not up to the task supporting the sideloads or even the thrust for that matter...

Keep brainstorming that's the fun of it !!

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

YUP that's the fun part.
    I just got an old Johnson snowmobile with the drive in tact. I'm going try and use it on the flywheel end of the motor. The torque converter runs to a DBL chain drive, where I can reduce as needed ...

I just picked up an old Johnson skee horse ( Free with 2 new drive belts). It is complete with the belt drive and chain drive.
    I'm going to try to use it to drive my prop off the flywheel end of the Bug motor.
    The 2 stroke motor was really slow turning around 4000 rpm That's is near what I expect out of the VW , more like 3000/3500 rpm
    Back yard red neck mechanic