Thread: New to airboats getting ready for my first build!

New to airboats getting ready for my first build!

Thanks for having me and for sharing the wealth of knowledge that you guys have! I have won a government auction and got like 6 4ao32 engines and 2 2ao42 engines still trying to figure out what engine I will go with. l

Re: New to airboats getting ready for my first build!

Welcome to the site! I would recommend going with the most HP you can .... with mini-airboats you need all you can get. JMO
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks Aerokirk, I have a question. When deciding on a prop and maybe later on I get my hands on an 084 could the same prop be used if I got something with a adjustable pitch?

While adjustable props allow for some variation in pitch settings they are matched to a given HP/RPM configuration so I don't think it would be a good fit for another engine unless the HP and RPM range is fairly close. Another consideration would be if a future setup includes a reduction drive, in which case the prop would be sized quite a bit differently. Check with Papee on which prop you would need for your 032 or 042 as he is quite knowledgable on these. I would guess a wood prop would be a good choice if you're going direct drive as it's cheaper and works quite well if it's sized correctly.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

The choice between a 032 and 042 would be a tough one. The 042 uses the same Pistons as the 084 but it is a twin cyl. The 032 is a smaller engine but it is a 4 cyl. I had a 032 on my boat while I was getting together parts for my 084. My boat was 16ft at that time with the 5' bottom. I ran it direct drive with a 3 blade composite prop and it did plane out at times but it was very hard and didn't stay up in deep water. I really think the 032 would have done better with a two blade wooden prop. I still have that motor and hope some day to do something with it, maybe put together a small boat for my grandson. He's 13 now and is pretty good at operating my boat.

On the other hand I have seen the 042 used on some light aircraft. I have no experience with that motor. Whatever you choose have fun and welcome to the site.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Guys thanks so much for your time and knowledge! Papee I think I am going to usd the 032 for now being I have more of those engines and there is so much more info out there on them. I am not a speed demon by no means just wanna build this with my dad and mainly play and putt around on a very shallow lake that we fish on. Do you know what prop you was using on your 032 when you had it together?

Hello and welcome to the site !! I saw in another thread you asked about using a single sheet of aluminum for your build...Are you looking to bend the sheet without welding ???

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

I was using a three blade ultra prop but I don't remember what pitch blocks were in it. I think they were 12s.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Thanks papee, corky I was gonna weld to it to make connections

OK...I used a total of three sheets on my build {5ftX10FT}...I'm not sure what the biggest sheet dimensions are available but they sell bigger sheets than I used...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop