Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake buggy 2 build

Lake buggy 2 build

I'm new to the forums and any help will be appreciated I have decided to build a mini airboat. I have always wanted one and I'm a do it yourself kinda guy so I came across the lake buggy plans I want to build the 2 seater for me and the wife to ride on. I have a lot experience with woodworking and building and fabricating so this part should be pretty easy now motor choice is still up in the air. I was looking at the Harbor freight predator 22 hp but not sure if that's the way I'm going to go any help on motor choice would be appreciated. I have decided to widen the hall to 5 1/2 feet and keep it 12 foot long going to build it out of 1/4inch ply and fiberglass bottom and sides I believe to keep it light I will drill lighting holes throw out the inside formers. Let me know what you guys think on this idea.

Re: Lake buggy 2 build

Hello and welcome to the site...

You know, the lake buggy looks to be a blast and with that highly rated predator engine I'd say you're on the right track to a great project...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Hello and thank you... I have been looking at many different motors and for the price you can't beat the Predator 22 hp I have not decided on a prop what do you think would be a good prop inches and pitch for that size motor? I should be getting started on the build this week and will post pictures as I do go along should be a fun project and learning experience

Go to arrow props.com, they have a chart that will tell you what prop you need. I think that would be a 42" prop but not sure on the pitch.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Okay the plans call for a 52x22 I will be running a reduction Drive 2 to 1 so does that sound right?

2:1 would be engine rpms at 6000 to turn the prop at 3000.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I did a lot of thinking I need 1:69 1 or 1.50 1 engine rpm is 4000 I need the prop at 2500

Okay I started on the build got the template made for the haul and gotta get some 1/4inch ply I had wood left over form other projects and I decided to start building the rudders. I'm going with an airfoil. The plans say for 13inch by 32inch I made them 13 wide and 33 tall do they sound small?

Not for the size of the engine and prop you'll be using...So...Are you going to post pics as you go ??? You know we all like to see the progress !!

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Yes I will be posting some pictures tomorrow for every one lol and they just looked a little small

Okay here are some pictures of the build so far Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  89.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  90.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  84.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  88.9 KB

Looking good Madscientist! I'm excited to see how it turns out! Keep the pics coming........bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
    Looking good Madscientist! I'm excited to see how it turns out! Keep the pics coming........bruce
    Thank you I wil keep the pictures coming I'm hoping later today I can get the rudders glued together and nailed then put them aside and go get some ply wood and start on the haul

Got more work done on the rudders and then decided to throw them out will not work wood would not shape the way I wanted it too and look good it plus they started to get some weight to them so I decided to go with aluminum for the rudders instead of the wood

You know, here's my thoughts on the rudders....Now that I've made up an airfoil type for my build I have to wonder where the cut-off would be for them to be worthwhile on a mini...I have a 13HP kohler on my old mini and I'd reason to say an airfoil type might not be worth the effort...I've got a plain old piece of plywood for a single rudder and it steers just fine...And I know the airfoil design bends the air nicely but in a low HP situation is it creating more drag than it's worth ???

EDIT: With that being said.... Here's something that might be useful....When we build concrete forms using thin plywood we use a circular saw and score the backside every 1/2 inch or more so it can make hard bends and nice,tight radiuses without the wood being under a large amount of pressure...
    Last edited by Corky; 10-07-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: helpful advice

Teledyne 4a084-4 engine

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    You know, here's my thoughts on the rudders....Now that I've made up an airfoil type for my build I have to wonder where the cut-off would be for them to be worthwhile on a mini...I have a 13HP kohler on my old mini and I'd reason to say an airfoil type might not be worth the effort...I've got a plain old piece of plywood for a single rudder and it steers just fine...And I know the airfoil design bends the air nicely but in a low HP situation is it creating more drag than it's worth ???

EDIT: With that being said.... Here's something that might be useful....When we build concrete forms using thin plywood we use a circular saw and score the backside every 1/2 inch or more so it can make hard bends and nice,tight radiuses without the wood being under a large amount of pressure...
    that is a very good point it might not worth it. I was going to use a peace of ply wood for the rudders at first then decided to go with an airfoil. I was going to score the wood but I wanted to try with out it first well it didn't work lol so I'm going to make them out of aluminum I'm going to start the build of the hual this weekend been busy with work and being dieing to get started on the hual!!

I got all my wood today to build my hull! I'm hoping to have some pictures tonight of the start

Here's the start. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  20.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  20.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1641
Views: 1654
Views: 1633
Size:  20.2 KB

I'm getting ready to start my build as well and was wondering if just a single aluminum sheet would work like diamond plate except slick?

I use dual 'stop sign' type rudders on my boat and truthfully I don't know how you could tell any difference between the two. My boat turns at idle in the length of the boat and at speed just a quick pull on the stick will spin it out. My top speeds are very comparable to the reduction drive boats even though I run a direct drive.

More important is weight, the size and shape of the hull along with how you distribute the weight.