Thread: The Holiday Weekend....

The Holiday Weekend....

Here it is... Labor Day weekend.... the last big hurrah of summer !!!! and I still have yet to go for an airboat ride.... shame on me !!!!
    kent

Re: The Holiday Weekend....

Hey Kent, I thought you went out a few weeks ago ???...I was wondering if you made it out or not...
    I guess you know the river is low at this time, you might have to wait until we get some rain...I have'nt been out for about 2 weeks now...I ripped a hole in my old mini back at the transom the last time I was out...Went over a rock ledge up the Juniata and saw the water around my feet... The bilge got a workout until I got home...
    My 30+year old floor is getting paper thin back there...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I thought you went out a few weeks ago ???...
    I was going to take the airboat out a few week back, but plans changed.... Last Saturday, I went to the launch ramp to eyeball things... The river is very low for my boat.... I'm too heavy, have to carry too much speed, and the rock ledges are too close together to snake thru them.... If I do put in, I'm guessing to get 3 miles up water and zero down water. That means two trips up and back and back on the trailer in twenty minutes..... Guess I will wait for a good rain upstream.... kent

You're lucky you didn't get shot going up the mouth of the Juniata. The guy that owns the campground there hates airboats. I pulled in there one time hauling my boat to buy bait and he about threw me out of there. He pretty much told me to take it to Millersburg to run he didn't want it around there.

Im going to go out either tomorrow or Sunday then again Monday. I'm going to take my boat out then take the green boat out after I get a new starter on it. I put the small starter on that one and it didn't have the nose support for the bendix gear. The shaft is a bit wobbley so he wanted me to put a new one on before it messed up the flex plate.

Changing to the big starter has been a pain, I had to redesign the front motor mount because the big starter fits so tight to the oil pan. My health doesn't help much, I can only work about a half hour at a time. The first time I put my starter it took about three hours. I've been working on this one about a week.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I'll have to keep that in mind to just keep motoring along near that campsite..It's a good thing the deep{?} water is more on the other side of the river at that campground so I'll stay over there on the way by... I was up in Sunbury last weekend and saw a huge airboat passing through on a trip ! Did'nt get the camera out in time but the rigging/seating was very high... It came down the east branch then hooked to the left up through the west branch...I WILL make a trip out of that area next year when I'm ready...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Let me know when you want to explore some new areas and I'll go along. It's always nice to have someone along for the longer trips. I've put in just below the dam but there's not much running there. The old electric plant dam in not far down stream.

I don't know which was my longest run, never checked the miles, my trip from Halifax to HBG or from Halifax to just above shamokin dam.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA