Thread: Looking for a strait answer

Looking for a strait answer

I have E mailed 5 prop companies.

They all answered back, but they would not tell me Just how much prop My 50 HP VW motor Will spin.
    And how much boat they thought it could push.
    Sounds like an easy question to me. Is there an answer? HP to inch of prop? Has to be a way to figure it out.
    All I have is motor, I can Match any thing to It.

Re: Looking for a strait answer

There really isn't a cure all answer for it. With those motors you just don't know what shape they are in or if they are tuned correctly. If they sell you a prop that will work with the motor you have presuming it is at peak performance you may not be happy with it. Your best bet would be to get an adjustable prop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I'm thinking that is way more $$$ then I could do.
    If any one could tell me how much prop 50 HP will turn I could make the motor put out 50 hp

When I originally bought the Fatcat it was running an unmodified 1600cc VW motor, direct drive, and had a 52 x 26 two blade wooden prop on it. The prop was damaged, so I never ran it. I do not know if the prop was original or not.....

My guess would be a 54x 24. The 084s a lot of us run are around 45 hp and I run a 52x24 so a 54x 24 should be close for you. That is a wide chord blade not narrow though.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    My guess would be a 54x 24. The 084s a lot of us run are around 45 hp and I run a 52x24 so a 54x 24 should be close for you. That is a wide chord blade not narrow though.
    realistically I'll bet that's about what I'll get, 45 HP.

what Is a "wide chord blade"? Narrow?

A wide chord blade would be like a "Sensenich" or a "Water Walker". A narrow blade would be like a "Warp Drive". Check out their web sites. I know Sensenich has a HP range for their props, they sell wooden, fixed pitch props AND variable pitch props. Get that credit card warmed UP!! LOL

Chord is the surface or width of the blade. A assume you are looking for a inexpensive prop. My suggestion would be to call arrow prop and tell them you want a 54x24 wide chord prop and tell them what bolt pattern you have. If you look at arrow props website it is probably listed.

Cool I'll check.
    I don't Have a bolt pattern yet

They also have hubs for your motor.