Thread: I just bought a new airboat

I just bought a new airboat

The boat is a 10 ft x 5 ft fiberglass hull with a 4a084 engine. I am going to run this in a creek with depths of 4 ft to 6 inches of water. Can I get it to plane over the shallow depths with 2 men ( 400 lbs ) and some light fishing equipment? I understand both the prop and the engine mount can be adjusted . Any help is greatly appreciated. I am located in Mechanicsburg, Pa

Re: I just bought a new airboat

Welcome to the site, it's always nice to see someone so close. It's hard to give you an answer to that question. If you could post a photo it would help a lot. That motor certainly has the power to do it provided it has the right prop on it and the hull is a planing hull. Fiberglass for a hull is not a good choice for this area but certainly a good starter boat if it's right for an airboat setup. I've been running the same motor for over eight years with almost no problem.

Im in Elizabethville about 45 mins from you, what creek are you referring to?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I am going to run the boat on the Conodoquinet creek across the river from Harrisburg. I am having a problem uploading a picture to this thread. Any suggestions there. Thanks

Click to reply
    go advanced
    manage files
    choose files
    then upload
    then post as normal
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Hello and welcome to the site !!! You're right there's not much water in that creek during the summer but you'd still be able to navigate it with the right hull...At least they've taken some dams out so you'd have a nice run up through it...A buddy of mine lives on Skyport road and has some waterfront property on that creek...It's mostly float trips and kayaks in that area...I've often thought about dropping in there and taking my mini up through there just for a run..

Hi Mikea,
    Welcome to the site and enjoy the friendly folks around here !!!
    Before you get into a potential problem.... You can't run at over no wake speed on creeks less than 100 yards in width.... Something to do with shoreline erosion.... Guppy cops will gladly write you a few no-no's till their pencils go dull !!! Stick to the river. But watch the rocks, with that glass hull, it may not last the weekend...
    kent

Hey Kent, you're right....I forgot about the 100 yard rule...I remember talking with you about this when you were down... Although the flying bass boats pretty much ignore staying offshore the required spacing even in the river here....

I think I may know where this boat came from. There was a guy from that area calling me pretty often last year asking questions about the setup of the 084. I think the guy was on the east end of the pike. Is this where the boat came from?

I bought the boat from a man in Jamestown, NY. I was given information on paper from the boaters manual from a gentleman at the boat commission in Harrisburg. He and the official paperwork states th creek can be run on if creek is a minimum of 200 ft wide.

Mikea,
    Thanks for the update on the regs. 200 feet is better than the 300 that I remember. Guess we all should re-read the regs each season for changes.
    kent

It seems like aluminum hulls are the favorite here. This creek has a shale / muddy bottom. There are some rocks but not like the Susquehanna. Could I get a sheet of aluminum to reinforce the fiberglass? I am not at all interested in Speed, just going to use as a fishing boat that needs to beat the current. Mike

You can run it as is but be VERY VERY careful around rocks at any speed.

Help please! I need some fiberglass repaired. Some bad spots in back where the bottom meets the back. Anyone local to me that anyone knows? I am also considering a sheet of UHMW on the underside for protection. My problem isn't hitting big rocks, it's more scraping over shale. Thoughts?