Thread: 084 with no fire

084 with no fire

Help please.
    I've been tinkering with my 084 and have it spinning like a top with the OEM starter but have no spark.
    Do I need any wires left hocked up on this thing?
    I think I read somewhere that the only one would be a ground wire on the mag to shut it off with, Am I correct about this?

My guess is that its a mag problem but the point gap is .015" and the condenser seems to test out OK at least I have continuity between it's lead and the mag housing. I assume that was what the manual meant by ground.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Mike

Re: 084 with no fire

I would unhook everything at the mag then test for spark. You are correct, you just ground out the mag tab to kill. I'm no help otherwise, I haven't messed with the internals. I have a tight budget but that is one thing I don't mess with, once something happens I replace the whole thing for reliability sake.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Papee: Thank you for verifying the wiring.

Do you have an idea on the cost of a replacement mag and does Chuck carry then or would I need to go through saturn?
    If I need to replace it anyway is there an electronic upgrade available?
    Last edited by Ice King; 05-10-2015 at 09:40 AM.

The 084 engine is very similar to the Continental aircraft engine and magnetos have been used successfully on them for many years. If you don't have spark after you disconnect the ground wire then you can just disassemble the mag and see if the points are opening to the proper gap. They come apart pretty easily .... just make sure you get the proper gear alignment when you reinstall it and reset the timing. I'm not aware of any electronic alternatives for these engines.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Aerokirk thanks for the reply.

I have a manual printed out and read the preinstall timing procedure for the Mag. That's defiantly vary important.
    The points are opening to the required .015"
    The coil or condenser seems to be the problem.
    I see Saturn has a points and condenser kit for $20 so if all else fails I'll add that to my shopping list.

Oh well it's only 40*F and rainy here and I don't feel like taking a boat ride and spending the day outside cutting firewood at camp so maybe I'll go out to the shop and fiddle with the Mag some more and or just clean up & degrease the engine.

Mike

When ordering from Saturn please mention this site.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Will do Papee.
    I see that they are a sponsor of this site so I figure they would like to know its doing them some good.

PS. keep up the good work.

Mike

I just did a quick check to see which mag you have and you're in luck...The fairbanks mag is the one Saturn has the rebuild parts for and that's the one you've got...I'm not sure what us slickmag guys would do if we needed the tune-up parts for those....

That's good news Corky.
    Well for me anyway.

I cleaned the points and all contacts and tightened the spring under the drive gear and now I have fire.

Now I just need to know which is the #1 passion on the Mag. The plug wires were scrambled on this engine.
    The location that someone had marked as #1 was going to #4 cylinder.

When looking at the Mag is the top left terminal #1 ?
    Would this be the correct Mag terminal numbering?

1 4
    O O

O O
    3 2

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Ice King; 05-11-2015 at 08:56 AM.

You should be able to find a "1" stamped on it somewhere. Also make sure you are following the correct rotation for your mag. I've never verified it for sure but I think the Fairbanks turns one way and the slick the opposite because of the 90* angle on the Fairbanks. I had a heck of a time when I switched from the Fairbanks to the slick mag. Try to find that thread, there will be lots of help on this in that thread.

heres the link to that thread. Be sure to read the whole thread.
    http://miniairboatassoc.com/forum/sh...neto-on-an-084

Papee: Thanks for posting the link to the other thread, It was an informative read.

Now that I've got good fire on all four plugs and I think I've got the primary timing set properly it's time to start on the carb.

B.T.W. I'm getting 40psi oil pressure when I'm cranking it over so that part seems good at least.

I'm only able to work on the engine when it's to cold & rainy to do all the outdoor stuff that needs to get done around here and I'm really hoping for a nice summer for a change so I may not have a running until winter. Which is fine because I won't be starting the hull until then anyway.

Cheers and happy fishing