Thread: Help! wanting to start a build!

Forum Reader

Help! wanting to start a build!

I'm wanting to do my first build. I Have a 1448 alumacraft jon boat I planned on using as the hull. i've never built or been around anything like this, so this I all new to me. What would be the best/biggest motor I should use?

Re: Help! wanting to start a build!

Hello and welcome to the site !! Lot's of great members on here to help guide you.........What are the actual specs on your alumacraft ??? Length, bottom width, top transom width ??? Any pics to post of it ??? That would get you moving along with the planning stage...

A 1448 would be 14'x 48".

A 25 hp motor and 42" prop would be tops for that boat.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Forum Reader

what brand motor would you recommend and how many blade prop?

Hello I just got on here and read this updated thread.. Thanks for the clarification Papee I'm still learning the specs for the jonboat hulls it seems pretty simple....The engine brand is a tough one at around 25hp there's so many good choices I'd probably look and see what's available locally...Are you looking for a new engine or used ??? The new engines are expensive I was looking at them last year and most were in the $2500.00{+ or-} dollar range for a Kohler or Briggs and Stratton...I was going to look for a used lawn mower and salvage the engine off it for my small mini but I rebuilt the existing engine...I'd assume the prop will be a 2 blade in that hp range but it depends on the engine brand....

Papee would an 032 engine be a good choice in this application ???

Yes the 032 would be a good choice. The trouble with going that way is the starter and charging system. The charging system is an easy mod but the starter would be a bit more complicated. If the user does not mind rope starting it would be a great choice. The 032s start very easy. There's also the hub that would need to be made. The 032 would be the best performing motor in that hp range but simplicity would be choosing the lawnmower type engine. The prop hub is readily available and getting one with a charging system and started would be the cheaper route. For this hp group I would suggest a 42 inch two blade wooden prop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA