Thread: How to hook up a rectifier?

How to hook up a rectifier?

I have an old one off of a 4 wheeler that has 4 wires on it. Any idea on how to hook it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: How to hook up a rectifier?

A make and model would help here. I'm not sure what the fourth wife would be. On the three wire ones there is an input coming from the stator, a ground, and the output or charge wire. I'm sure if you post the make of the four wheeler we can come up with a solution.

here is one from a Suzuki with four wires. The correct make will most likely get you the wires colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Here's a question I have about rectifiers in general...What is everyone doing with the charge wire to the battery ??? More specifically...Is there a fuse and/or circuit breaker used inline between the rectifier and the battery ??? I'm designing my electrical system so any info is appreciated...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop

Fused, I use a separate charge switch. The charge gauge is in this circut. The ignition switch in the run position only turns on my gauges and fuel cutoff for the carb.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

I chose to run my "+" wire from my rectifier directly to my battery "+" without a fuse. The rectifier won't allow the current to flow in the reverse direction so the only time you might have a problem is if the wire from the rectifier to the battery would somehow contact ground. In my experience, whenever a rectifier fails it will normally fail to an open and not to a short. JMO
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Thanks guys...All wiring{for the most part} wil be shielded in one form or another...I was worried about the rectifier going out{I was'nt sure how many ways it could go} and creating a serious overcharging situation where it cooks the battery, mabe dead short through the unit{I'm glad to hear this does'nt normally happen}...Or as stated the wire somehow breaks/wears through and gets grounded...As usual I'm probably overthinking the bad senarios...

Aluminum .120 14' X 76" hull
    Teledyne 4a084-4 engine
    Circle S 1.69:1 reduction
    67" Whirlwind "Razor X" prop