Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Wow thats some good investigating..looks like maybe a redesign of where the engine mounts to the hull is really the only real change?? Shame about the blades though :/ atleast nobody was hurt so thats a big plus.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

My blunder is on here also. Two weeks after a new prop I lost the edge going around a corner going from deep to shallow water. The boat slid out into some low trees and when I looked up I was headed straight for a tree. I put a huge dent in the bow, broke the rear engine mounts, bent the front, and made toothpicks out of a new prop.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Well much like the drag racing world, if you aren't breaking things once in a while you aren't learning. At least my wife is used to that part! Thank you all for your words of support.

Thanks for sharing your mishap. I'm glad to hear everyone's ok.
    I'll have to make sure I really build strong mounts when I finally do my boat because I just know I'll be hitting frozen things.

Cheers

Yup. That is one of the reasons I really like the airboat idea. When winter lasts 5 or 6 months you can still get them out to play

Finally got my new prop blades last night!!. While the boat's been down I've mounted lights on the cage and bow, added grip tape to the top of the gunnels and fore deck and built a guard for the prop shaft, on top of the repairs needed on the rigging. I've also bought a second seat which I still need to mount and am contemplating how to do it so it doesn't look like an add-on(which it is)...I'm pushing to get it finished for the Victoria Day long weekend which signals the unofficial beginning of Summer in these parts. I should be close but it is only 3 days away.

I hope you get it done in time for the weekend...Post pics when you get a chance...

Name:  new rear legs.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  96.2 KBHere's a shot of what I ended up with at the rear. I doubled the tie-down points and added a partial cross joist instead of stand-alone mounting points.
    Name:  header guard.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  98.6 KBThis is what I came up with for the prop shaft guard and header/wiring harness cover. They are individual pieces made from .060" aluminium. I'd guess the prop shaft cover weighs a pound and a 1/2 and the header cover maybe 2 lbs. I tig welded this light stuff together and remember why I don't tig so much any more...man is it slow!!
    Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  100.0 KBHere's a front view of the grip tape and the lights, looks kinda like a bug, LOL

Tomorrow night I'll build a frame for the second seat...either that or take it to the river... A guys gotta play some time but I am starting to have a couple jobs stack up around here. Either way I should have some more pictures by the end of the week.
    Last edited by dr.peck76; 05-14-2015 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling

outstanding work! my rig would rock a little as well when i would hammer on it. i went back and added more braceing to the engine stand and that helped a lot.

i have a few questions on your lights.

1. do you have an onboard charging system?

2. are lights ran off of cranking battery?

i will be adding lights soon myself. most texas air boats must deal with trees more than anything else. here the lights that are mounted on the cage are actually mounted inside of the cage safe from tree limbs. just a thought i wanted to pass on, i have no idea what type of terrain you will be dealing with but may save you some trouble.

Good job on getting the repairs done in time for the long weekend. Now go have some fun and take lots of pics to show us please,
    And Be Safe.

It does look like a bug lol. A fast bug hahahaha. I think I remember somebody saying that the lights on I think the cage just shine on the deck and dont really help see but rather do the opposite. It might be a different position and/or light so id be interested to know if each one helps or not. Oh and great job on the repairs they look great. Oh and might be talking to you about perhaps tigging me up a gas tank for my boat.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

On the lights, the Yamaha engine has an internally built alternator so the I ran the lights right off the cranking battery. There is a huge difference in light output when the engine is running even at an idle so I know there is enough charging amps. I guess we shall see how much reflection we get, I totally see what you mean especially with all the bare aluminium.
    I ended up putting a double front seat in. I had bought the seats so I figure I may as well use them both.
    thanks for all the compliments.
    Doozit- I'd love to help you on your tank but I think the shipping would kill you. I ended up paying $135 just on shipping for my new blades. Ugh!! Also just putting it out there for any one building, I have a CNC plasma table that I use for my side job. If you need multiple parts from plate and are interested in shipping stuff across the boarder I would be willing to work with any one. Even if it's just one or two complex layouts that would be difficult to cut its really quite easy on the computer.

Off to the lake for mee tomorrow afternoon, I will be sure to take a few pics hopefully with some pike in them as well!

Very nice craftsmanship !! Those guards are top notch......It's amazing how every step of the build adds to the appeal of your boat...Have a great weekend...

Wink Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Very nice craftsmanship !! Those guards are top notch......It's amazing how every step of the build adds to the appeal of your boat...Have a great weekend...
    Thanks alot Corky, I did have a great weekend as well. We went to a little puddle sized lake not far from home with some good friends. Maybe only a mile across the long way. I did get the boat out and immediately drew a crowd. Now I had some pressure. Things went fairly well launching from the beach but I did have to ask some people to move back before I swung the boat 180* and headed for the water.

Being the first time I had it in big open water it was another learning experience. It handles totally different in 1' water than 5' water and I have to say I'd take 1' any day. It seems alot tighter in the corners and tends to slide way better. Any way, my good buddy and I caught a half dozen pike and I think I gave him a surprise on how stable the boat was. He's got a few spots on the Athabasca river he'd like to get to now but never could due to the shallows in between.

Stupid me though in all the action the only picture that was took was of the fish!! There will be a next time soon.....

Good!!!!

Water depth makes a huge difference. You should try going from 10' of water to 6" of water in a flooded field while on plane. That scared the crud out of me! It was like hitting the nitrous bottle after cutting the brake lines. Lots to learn!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  Genesee ride.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  4.3 KBHere's a pic after my first ride on the river. Had a blast and no issues! I was on the river about 5 1/2 hours, driving time around 2-1/2 hours and burnt about 5 gals of fuel. All in all a gorgeous afternoon. Found that i can comfortably cruise on plane at about 5500 rpm with only me in the boat. Name:  upriver of genesee bridge.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  6.1 KB No problems in the shallows (less than a foot) but i do notice that in deep water the boat tips to the right. I'm thinking it's to do with prop torque because if I lift the throttle it gets better and in a turn to the left it doesn't happen at all if i enter the turn on an even keel. Any thoughts on what this migh be or how to fix it if I've properly diagnosed???

Glad you are having some success! With every build there are always a few bugs that need worked out. With that motor and prop setup you shouldn't have any torque twist. Are you sure the prop is in alignment with the hull? If it's off to one side or another it will give you that symptom. Does your motor move in the mounts to one side when you gas it?
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    Glad you are having some success! With every build there are always a few bugs that need worked out. With that motor and prop setup you shouldn't have any torque twist. Are you sure the prop is in alignment with the hull? If it's off to one side or another it will give you that symptom. Does your motor move in the mounts to one side when you gas it?

I'm fairly confidant the prop is centered in the hull, but how much out of center do you think would make a difference? Are we talking 1/16" or would it be more like an inch?? The lean or tip is fairly pronounced at times but always when under throttle. When there is a bit of ripple in the water and I can get some air under the hull the lean goes away completely. I'm not sure if that is related but the more info the better i guess.

Also can you give me more of an explanation on how the torque twist effect works? I've read the term and i think i understand it in case with airplanes but am unsure if it's even relevant in these boats.

Thanks for any guidance you can give on this.

It really has more to do with weight and rotating mass. That motor is not really heavy enough to have the inertia to twist that amount of weight. There is also the rpm deal, you are already turning a good amount of rpms at speed and the change in rpms is not enough added with the rotating mass to cause much twist.