Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

I am really struggling again to add pictures. The "pic add" button doesn't seem to want to work.....

Go higher up with the poly on the bottom. Higher as in further forward if you can though you prob can because its been cut and all. Soooo driving and airboat aint like nothin else out there huh lol. Glad you made it back safe and sound.
    Hull:10'6"x69" 1/2 deckover .100
    Motor:4a084 w/ stock carb
    Reduction:direct drive
    Prop:ultraprop 3 blade 59x10*
    Mods:Motorcycle exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by dr.peck76 View Post
    I am really struggling again to add pictures. The "pic add" button doesn't seem to want to work.....
    What sort of problem are you having?

looks like you've got a runner! How much more weight will you be adding? Try to get a video of it on water so we can have a look at how it is running on the water.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

It maybe a couple weeks before I can get a good video of it on the water as the ice is still hanging on.

I can choose the file I want but the uploader never seem to start. I've been able to do it before....

I've got picturns and a short video of today on my facebook Page. Search "Shop76 Onoway" and you'll find all sorts of things I do there.

Just went and checked you out on facebook. You make some pretty cool stuff my man. I like that fire sphere thing. Real cool

Oh and the video looks nice too. Yall got some nasty waters up there. Looks like it sits ok in the water though so thats good.

Ya the waters a little hard still Lol. At the end of the video the bow was resting on a big rock. It actually sits a lot more level when not moving. Me and my boy are gonna head to a different lake about 20 miles upstream from here where we can get a better run on the river today. Wish me more luck. Oh and I'll bring my GPS for more performance reports.

Ok cool best wishes be safe. Let us know how she moves.

I just thought I'd try to upload from work and here we go. When the water opens up a bit more I'll have some more pictures. These are from Saturday. Had a blast on Sunday am as well. With GPS i see it planes at about 7 mph not as fast as I'd thought before. Not really enough room to have really opened it up but that will be soon enough. Handles like nothing I've ever drove before, lots of fun. I did get to about 25 mph on the ice but with the limited control I was defiantly nervous, lots of throttle left at that speed. A bad cross wind too on Sunday which adds more to learn.
    Name:  20150411_102012[1].jpg
Views: 683
Size:  97.9 KBName:  20150411_111433[1].jpg
Size:  95.3 KBName:  20150411_111502[1].jpg
Views: 700
Size:  96.9 KBName:  20150411_111629[1].jpg
Views: 682
Size:  96.8 KB
    Last edited by dr.peck76; 04-15-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: additional detail

Even in water a cross breeze will push you sideways when you up on plain. Ive actually had my boat going straight down a shallow trail but at an angle with my boat so kind of like dog tailing with an out of aligned trailer. And did you say 7mph to plane out???? That dont sound right. Maybe 17mph?? Lol

Yeah the wind was playing havoc with my nerves. I finally figured out to "tack" like sail boats do. Drive more into the wind for a while, turn 90* and go more with the wind for a while. That made things way more comfortable even if less direct. I'll have to check my GPS next time I'm out, I'll confirm that 7. my big ski boat planes out at about 15 mph (on the factory speedo) if I trim it right and it's obviously a deep V hull compared to this flat one. You got me second guessing myself now LOL!!

It might be 7 but I dont know I know ill plain out at about 15 or so. Then again I usually just hit the gas and hop up on plane then back it down so not reall sure about speed. I know when I frog at night I found I can hold at about 2000 rpm and stay on plain maybe a little less rpm but too much more and it drops back into the water. Thats with my yellow boat which has a 65" bottom in the back and tapers smaller towards the front. And my boat is a lot lighter then yours. My bare hull weighed in at 220 lb. Though you do produce a substantial amount more thrust then I do so its possible I suppose lol.

Like I said, I don't mind confirming, with all the action going on in my mind it's very possible i'm mistaken. My boat is about 66" across the bottom of the transom, then the soft chine rolls up on a 6"radius. At 99" forward, the hull is 60" wide and the soft chine has tapered away to a sharp angle. This is the same point where the hull bottom starts it's upward curve to the bow. The amount of "lift" we get to put us on plane is only dependent on the surface area, the speed, where the CofG is, and maybe a hundred other things. LOL Should be easy to figure out right? Anyways when the ice is gone around here and I've got a nice straight run to spend some time looking at the GPS and not at what is coming at me I'll check again.

How much effect does anyone think the actual thrust you make has on what speed you plane at?? I suppose it would need to look at the prop center-line distance from the bottom of the boat as well. I'll measure all day if an engineer wants to spend some brain power at analysis.
    Last edited by dr.peck76; 04-15-2015 at 01:59 PM.

You sound like your boat is a bit wider then mine and your right about the surface area as to how it acts differently. It would take much more speed I would think to get a skinny boat to plane out and most importantly to stay on plane. A wideer hull will certainly plane out much faster and with less effort. I have the privilege to have both types of hulls with the same power plant. My dads boat is 7' wide at the transom and requires far less effort to get up on plane and stay on plane.
    Thrust I feel has atleast a small part to do with planeing out as it requires less effort to achieve this. With your wide blades I would think that with a slight pedal movement you can hop up on plane with a wider boat in quite a short order. Like if/when you get the chance with open water id be very curious as to how low in the rpms you can go to stay up on plane. A wider blade captures more air. And a few hundred rpms can make a big difference in speed were a narrower blade like I have may spin up faster but would require more rpms to keep up the same speed as a wider blade.

Just some rambling put into text lol. Hope you get some open water soon. I would venture to say that you will see speeds in the mid to uper 40's mph range. If not more. Be safe and remember there arent any brakes on these things....unless you make one that is lol
    Steve

When I first put the green boat on the water before adding any of the accessories the boat planed fast. Just a bit of throttle and it was on top the water. There most likely is a point as he is saying that it gets on top of the water and that speed may very well be 7 mph. You are at that speed a short time so it would be hard to measure.

Now holding plane at 7mph is a different story.

A wider hull will displace more water and be easier to get on plane. With that said, once on plane giving you have a hull that is wide enough but not too wide a more narrow hull will be faster because there is less surface area or "wetted surface" contacting the water causing drag.

The more wetted surface you have the more drag. This is why I make the small step in my hulls and set the boat up to ride on that area. There is less surface area there. There is a flip side to this also, if you have to tilt your engine too much to raise the front to run on this small area you may be putting downward force on the back of the boat causing more drag.

This is what is referred to when we say a boat is running "free".

I'll have to watch the gps some time when I am gliding after I get off the gas to what mph the boat falls off plane. I'm sure it will be a low number between 7-10 mph.

To add to this, with the Ultra Prop on my boat it will get on plane in less than the length of the boat. It jumps right up there. The engine is able to spin that short narrow prop very quick which produces maximum thrust very quick but on the other end it is not a very good prop for top end or cruise speeds.

I can run about 1500-1600 rpm and stay on plane, I'm direct drive so that is both engine and prop speed.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Earlier this week I met a rock in the cattails, it might have been a log or a frozen muskrat house,(yes frozen still in northern Alberta). Any way, the point I wanted to make from the lesson I learned is that whole "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" thing. There is a considerable amount of upward force at the rear hold down point of the engine rigging. This is created by the high centerline of forward thrust from the prop shaft. I know this because i was very concerned of a "hair-cut" and built my rigging very strong to resist the forward thrust, but did not take into account the reacting "pivot" force, which tries to raise the rear of the boat. All of this, when mixed with said "rock", equals two broken rear motor mounts which then failed to hold down the rigging, which then allowed my prop to come into contact with protective cage.(as they are separate assemblies) I should have recognized the potential here as when on dry ground the boat actually rocks forward a bit before breaking free and sliding.

Soooo.... New prop blades on order, boat stripped down to hull again for structural reinforcement and lost the time to enjoy my new hobby. Everyone was safe and sound and no damage to the cage.(impressed my self with that one) and overall thankful for the positives. I think my pride took the biggest hit followed by my wallet.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you figure one should be good put in a second just in case. LOL I will add at least two more mounting points to the rear and possibly two more in the center of the rigging. Also I'm trying to devise a way to tie the prop cage to the rigging. I will post a couple pictures of the carnage as I think that any fails are better talked about for others to learn from rather than hiding them and letting others find out for themselves.

Wow! Sounds like a real impact. Glad that you're all OK ... as I was told after my crash "you built it so you'll certainly know how to fix it" ... not real comforting but certainly true. Tying in the cage to the rest of the rigging is a good idea because it makes everything much more ridgid. Along with the forces of thrust, there is also a gyroscopic inertia applied by the spinning propellor when it is forced to change direction quickly. If you've ever tried to quickly change the direction of a toy gyroscope as a kid you know what I mean. Aerobatic aircraft need very strong engine mounts for this reason.
    11'6" Marty Bray Hull
    4A084 Continental
    Circle "S" 1.69:1 Reducer
    67" Whirlwind Razor X Prop
    SS Rigging

Glad your ok...lesson learned I guess huh. Always a learning experience...

Name:  20150419_170802 (1).jpg
Views: 660
Size:  102.1 KBThis was all the cage damage. I may just leave it as a reminder....
    Name:  buckeld hull.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  96.3 KBHere is the hull damage, not too bad, I've already began to tap it back to where it belongs, no damage to the bottom. I guess that's heavy enough!
    Name:  briken motor mounts.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  100.4 KB Ahh, the story makes sense with this one. The tabs bent on the rigging but the hull tabs pulled straight off. Ended up breaking one center mount tab off the rigging legs, same side as the impact.
    Name:  trimmed blades.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB And the expensive parts trimmed down to about 62" diameter from 72". Replacements on order....

All in all a disheartening morning, but I'm very thankful no injuries and the damage is limited to what you see here. I've started on repairs and will have pictures to follow of the improvements. And my son and I have a story to share. They say life is about the stories you have when you're done, I intend to have more good ones with this boat than bad ones.