Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

I suppose the next steps would include some more measurements and a good inspection of the bottom side. Any other possibilities come to mind?

Nothing I can think of right now without seeing the boat run. When you start from a dead stop and punch it to get on plane does it go over the top even? By over the top I mean right at the point it starts to plane.
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

Yes, it is level right to left as i plane out. Its after i go over the top and start to accelerate more, does the lean start.

It's most likely something with the hull then. I just went back and reread about your crash. I'd drop a string line from the center of the prop then somewhere on the front where you can find that same center and see if it's straight with the bottom. Looks like your engine stand took quite a hit. Set the boat on a level floor and see if it's twisted. Also, do you have a slight arch to the bottom at the transom?

i see also that you have welds where you joined the bottom to your soft chines. It could be that one of the welds on a side is larger than the other causing it to pull. Could be any number of things. One thing that would have helped is the arch in the back.

on second thought, I think you put poly on that. Check that also
    Please check out our YouTube channel and subscribe! Our YouTube Channel helps fund the site. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTv...FrJP7yQVFVZnyA

In all the boats I looked at i never saw an arch across the bottom of the transom until i joined your site. Whether I just didn't see it or it wasn't there on the bigger boats i don't know, but as soon as I saw Corky's pictures I thought that is something I should have done. But by that point it was too late. I would imagine they track way better with the arch as well. Anyway, I will focus my attention to the hull, what you are saying makes sense to me, there is possibly a flaw of some sort in the poly, damage, something that is different from the other side perhaps a dent under the inner floor I cant see, time to put on my investigator hat....again.

I realize I've defiantly overbuilt the hull and being the first one I guess it's better than under building. It does handle better with 1/2 tank of gas in it and therefore there is another point of reduction for the future. I've yet to burn more than 5 gals an outing. Good judgement is gained by experience and experience is gained by poor judgement. Thanks for your help.

Just a few quick questions and thoughts...dr.peck76 Is this something that you consider critical or just a fine tune of the boat ???

Papee,in general how much hull warpage/inconsistancy does it take for the hull to lean or wander ??? Is any areas more critical than others as far as "bad spots" that would affect the hull more than others ???? I realize that's a tough question but I've looked at the pics many times and from what I can see it looks pretty good...

I'm looking at the build in general and the fuel tank is centered{and relatively big for the size of the boat} but I have to wonder if by chance the fuel itself is rushing back and possibly biased to one side as you accelerate on plane....I've been around enough to know any objects in the boat have the potential to put a lean on the plane and may need moved around to even everything out...

I guess as Papee has suggested start with the level and stringline and do some checking...Keep us posted...

Dr peck most boats have the arch but it's pretty much unnoticeable in a photo. The arch is so slight that it's hard to see. You may not even see it in person if you're not looking for it.

Corky, it all depends where the dent is at. If you get one back at the transom a softball size one would be noticeable if you're paying attention. I have a few narrow long ones where I skipped over a rock ledge. I'm sure those ones make a difference but not as much as a cup around the transom. One of these winters I'm going to have to tear my boat down and fix some of the dents. I have 3-4 pretty long gashes. I use to be able to hit 34 mph in the right conditions but now I can only get 29 mph tops. Part of that may be the damage to my prop.

Here is a dumb idea, do you lean at all in the seat while driving? I have 3 little boys who always want to hang over the side if the boat and put their hands in the water. I can notice this in the trim of the boat while running. This is in my flat bottom river boat with an outboard. Thinking about it now I do tend to lean on the arm rest of my airboat. A little weight can go a long way in a small boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All very good discussion.

Corky; What is happening is not just fine tuning unfortunately, the boat seems to suck down to the right, to the point where water sprays above the gunnel and sloshes into the boat. I seem to need to be constantly veering to the right while riding unless i can get some air to "break the seal" under the hull. Then it rides very flat. Also it seems the faster I go the worse it gets. If I load the left front seat with someone heavier, then the lean is not nearly as bad. Also to note, it is almost un-noticable in water less than 1'. But I think that has to do with the pressure wave we create in shallow water.

the fuel tank has two baffles splitting it into 3 compartments lengthwise and is only 12" wide from left to right, it is centred as well to the hull. I don't think that would be it but I've made mistakes before, that's for sure!

Froghunter, this lean makes me nervous enough I lean the other way! LOL When fishing from it, two men can stand on the front deck and it seem quite safe and stable. It is about 66" on the flat and the rolls up on a 6" radius on either side for another few inches on each side . It's about 72" wide about 1" above the poly at the transom.

Unfortunately i'm gonna have to wait for a couple days to do this research as I'm bogged down with another customer project! Ugh, paying jobs getting in the way of important fun again.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.peck76 View Post
    All very good discussion.

Corky; What is happening is not just fine tuning unfortunately, the boat seems to suck down to the right, to the point where water sprays above the gunnel and sloshes into the boat. I seem to need to be constantly veering to the right while riding unless i can get some air to "break the seal" under the hull. Then it rides very flat. Also it seems the faster I go the worse it gets. If I load the left front seat with someone heavier, then the lean is not nearly as bad. Also to note, it is almost un-noticable in water less than 1'. But I think that has to do with the pressure wave we create in shallow water.

the fuel tank has two baffles splitting it into 3 compartments lengthwise and is only 12" wide from left to right, it is centred as well to the hull. I don't think that would be it but I've made mistakes before, that's for sure!

Froghunter, this lean makes me nervous enough I lean the other way! LOL When fishing from it, two men can stand on the front deck and it seem quite safe and stable. It is about 66" on the flat and the rolls up on a 6" radius on either side for another few inches on each side . It's about 72" wide about 1" above the poly at the transom.

Unfortunately i'm gonna have to wait for a couple days to do this research as I'm bogged down with another customer project! Ugh, paying jobs getting in the way of important fun again.
    Thats interesting about the low water comment and also the spray. Where do the sides of you poly end in reference to your hull?

Looked back again. Is your poly white? If that is the white poly I see coming up the side in the one photo I can see how/ why this is happening. Depending on how your boat rides on the water of course. If the spray is coming out the front about where the bow arch is you may be able to remedy it by lowering the front of your motor. This will raise the bow and maybe not catch on the front of the poly. In low water your boat may be riding higher in the water so it's not doing it there.

Yes Papee, the poly is white. On the sides it ends right at the transom, and starts right at the base of the bow curve, on the bottom it wraps up almost to the bow eye and ends again at the transom. When underway and planed out, when the lean is bad, the spray comes up about 1 foot behind the driver seat on the right. On the left, the spray pushes out flat on the water like you'd expect it should at about the driver seat. (I'm sure this is because the other side is so low)

I'm trying to give as much info as i can here . I hope I'm going overboard on it...

That spray is where you problem is. Check you poly good.

Check this one out I finally go my boy to get me on a fly by. This is in deep water on lake isle. So you can judge, the poly wraps up the sides 8" in height from the flat bottom. I examined the bottom and there doesn't seem to be any damage. the only thing that really stands out is a dent at the base of the bow curve, near the center line. It's only about 1/2" deep at the deepest and 6" across. Take a peek at the video and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by dr.peck76; 06-15-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: more detail

Is what you've posted a link ??? If so i cant get it to work...EDIT: Got it to work took the slashes off the beginning and did an internet search then it came up... I'm certainly no expert but I'm going to throw this out there...It looks like the back end of your boat is heavy...You're moving fast but it does'nt seem to level off as much as it should...I have a checkmate speedboat with a 250 yamaha outboard and if I'm right at the point of jumping up on the water and hold the throttle there I can get the boat to do exactly what your's is doing where the bow is up,it's moving at a good pace but the water wraps back around the boat to the point where it'll soak the rear passengers....Then if I get moving faster it jumps up on top of the water and "frees itself" from the drag...
    Last edited by Corky; 06-15-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: video address

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Is what you've posted a link ??? If so i cant get it to work...EDIT: Got it to work took the slashes off the beginning and did an internet search then it came up...
    I'll have to remember to edit it like that. Thanks

I edited your post to fix the link. it just looks like it is a symptom of the hull design and it running on one side heavier than the other, The boat really isn't running free. it looks fine though, just a bit heavy of a hull for that motor. If it would take more pitch to get it on top of the water it would probably run more free. That water has to come out somewhere and that point is where it comes out with the way the boat rides. Maybe moving around some weight would help.

All good suggestions. If I were to adjust prop angle, maybe raise the rear 1/8", do you think that would help? Also I've read of guys sliding a strip of poly between the hull and the main sheet of poly to act like a trim tab. Any opinions on that. The boat does porpoise if I pick up a little more speed and I was on the understanding that if it was porpoising it was definitely running free. Any more thoughts?

If a boat is running free you will see almost no wake behind the boat. My opinion is that the hull being flat and maybe a little heavy for the power is causing these symptoms. I don't think a trim tab is the answer, if it's porpoising you need to put more downforce on the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Papee View Post
    I don't think a trim tab is the answer, if it's porpoising you need to put more downforce on the nose.
    Can that be achieved by adjusting the prop shaft angle? I'm thinking I'd raise the rear.... I can shim the whole rigging without having to mess with my motor to shaft alignment. Would there be suggestion of how much?

I'm not sure what you are calling the rear. raising the rear to me means raising the prop end which would raise the front. you want the prop pointed more at the water. I'd start with two washers. I'll try to get some video of my boat running in the next couple days. My boat really runs free with almost no wake and very little splash out the sides.

You're not going to get it to run perfect on the water because it's just too heavy as I think I mentioned in the first post when I saw your build. Things like the weight and the hull design will hold you back some from getting it to run well on the water. You're kinda stuck because you just need a little more power than you have for that weight but it's too narrow to put on a bigger engine. The missing arch in the hull and weight is what is hurting the performance. If you get it tweaked it should be a half decent runner though.I would have also not gone with the poly.

EDIT: Forgive me if I'm confusing your hull with another build, I get a lot of calls and emails each week and my memory is getting older than I.