Thread: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Hybrid View

Re: dr.peck76 1st build(Canada)

Yup. That is one of the reasons I really like the airboat idea. When winter lasts 5 or 6 months you can still get them out to play

Finally got my new prop blades last night!!. While the boat's been down I've mounted lights on the cage and bow, added grip tape to the top of the gunnels and fore deck and built a guard for the prop shaft, on top of the repairs needed on the rigging. I've also bought a second seat which I still need to mount and am contemplating how to do it so it doesn't look like an add-on(which it is)...I'm pushing to get it finished for the Victoria Day long weekend which signals the unofficial beginning of Summer in these parts. I should be close but it is only 3 days away.

I hope you get it done in time for the weekend...Post pics when you get a chance...

Name:  new rear legs.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  96.2 KBHere's a shot of what I ended up with at the rear. I doubled the tie-down points and added a partial cross joist instead of stand-alone mounting points.
    Name:  header guard.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  98.6 KBThis is what I came up with for the prop shaft guard and header/wiring harness cover. They are individual pieces made from .060" aluminium. I'd guess the prop shaft cover weighs a pound and a 1/2 and the header cover maybe 2 lbs. I tig welded this light stuff together and remember why I don't tig so much any more...man is it slow!!
    Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  100.0 KBHere's a front view of the grip tape and the lights, looks kinda like a bug, LOL

Tomorrow night I'll build a frame for the second seat...either that or take it to the river... A guys gotta play some time but I am starting to have a couple jobs stack up around here. Either way I should have some more pictures by the end of the week.
    Last edited by dr.peck76; 05-14-2015 at 01:54 AM. Reason: spelling

outstanding work! my rig would rock a little as well when i would hammer on it. i went back and added more braceing to the engine stand and that helped a lot.

i have a few questions on your lights.

1. do you have an onboard charging system?

2. are lights ran off of cranking battery?

i will be adding lights soon myself. most texas air boats must deal with trees more than anything else. here the lights that are mounted on the cage are actually mounted inside of the cage safe from tree limbs. just a thought i wanted to pass on, i have no idea what type of terrain you will be dealing with but may save you some trouble.

Good job on getting the repairs done in time for the long weekend. Now go have some fun and take lots of pics to show us please,
    And Be Safe.